ASU football defensive line a steady source of pressure

The Sun Devils have fared well in containing opposing running games in recent weeks.

against UCLA on Saturday, Oct. 3, 2015, at Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California. The Sun Devils defeated the Bruins 38-23.

In an up-and-down season, ASU football's various position groups have alternated taking place in the spotlight. But the most consistent and reliable unit through the team's first four games has been the defensive line.

Heading into a home game against Colorado on Saturday, the Sun Devils (3-2) will lean on the men in the trenches to once again be the anchor for their defense.

This hasn't come against weak competition either. The defensive front has cut its teeth against talented running backs like Texas A&M's Tra Carson (29 carries, 96 yards, 3.3 yards per carry against ASU), USC's Tre Madden (nine carries, seven yards) and UCLA's Paul Perkins (18 carries, 63 yards).

All three are legitimate NFL prospects and made little impact against the Sun Devil defensive line.

In only one game this year have Sun Devils allowed a running back to reach 100 yards: Cal Poly's Joe Protheroe. 

The defensive line unit starts with the two inside tackles: redshirt senior Demetrius Cherry and sophomore Tashon Smallwood.

Cherry has specialized on detecting zone blocking and not allowing double teams to get up the field, which leaves redshirt junior linebacker Salamo Fiso open to take on the ball carrier.

Smallwood is still young and has room for improvement. However, in his limited career at ASU, it looks like he could advance to fill the three-technique role Will Sutton played before he was drafted by the Chicago Bears last spring.

The interior linemen have life easier for everyone around them in defending the run.

The Colorado offensive line was under fire from Oregon last week and may not be able to hold up against ASU's pass rush. 

Colorado's passing game is centered around getting the ball to receiver Nelson Spruce in the space on the outside edges, but that won't be easy against an ASU defensive front that kept consistent pressure on UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen last week.

The ASU defensive line has the luxury of being able to rotate numerous players in and out depending on the down and distance.

True freshman JoJo Wicker has expelled Edmond Boateng on pass rushing downs at the Devilbacker position and his athleticism has drawn praise from head coach Todd Graham. 

With limited numbers needed to get to Colorado's quarterback Sefo Liufau, the Sun Devil defensive could be swarming the Buffaloes come Saturday.

Three things to know from ASU football's win over No. 7 UCLA

ASU football's Matt Haack reflects on career-best performance

Reach the reporter at biggs.w.carroll@gmail.com or on twitter @Biggs_Carroll

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×