Tempe Police: Man's 'can-shaped bulge' catches police attention after reported theft

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police reported the following incident Tuesday:

A Tempe man was arrested on Oct. 24 on the 100 block of W. University Drive on suspicion of shoplifting, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and possession of drug paraphernalia, according to a police report.

Police were called after a Circle K manager saw the man put a can of bean dip and other items in his pocket, police reported.

The officer arrived at the store and watched the man and a woman walk out of the store, the man with a can-shaped bulge in his pocket, according to the report. 

The officer grabbed the man’s hand and told him to put his hands behind his back, but the man did not, police reported. The officer told the man he was under arrest, telling him to again put his hands behind his back, but the man resisted, according to the report.

The officers placed the man, who was screaming profanities, in hand-cuffs, police reported.

The man had four tamales, two cans of bean dip and a Snickers bar on his person, police reported. He was also seen eating beef jerky in the store, which cost the store $13.53, according to the report. 

After the arrest the man was also found with two needles with meth residue on them, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Megan Janetsky.

Tempe Police: Woman smokes marijuana, but only a little

Tempe Police: Woman hides from police under mom's bed after stealing cigarettes

Reach the reporter at megan.janetsky@asu.edu or follow @meganjanetsky on Twitter.

×