ASU softball obliterates Mount St. Mary's, wins both doubleheader games

The Sun Devils mounted high-scoring innings and nine home runs to win both games in the Diamond Devil Invitational.

ASU Softball vs St. Francis
ASU softball welcomes in runners during its five-run fourth inning, on Feb. 27, 2016, in Tempe, AZ. ASU beat Saint Francis University, 12-9.

No. 19 ASU softball's offense (14-2) pummeled St. Francis University (6-6) and Mount St. Mary's (0-4) on Saturday night, scoring 29 total runs in the double-header.

Sophomore pitcher Breanna Macha (4-1, 2.68 ERA) needed the offensive output in the first game. She had an uncharacteristically difficult start.

FSU struck in the first inning after a leadoff double came around to score. The Sun Devils fought back in the second inning when sophomore right fielder Nichole Chilson hit a pop fly to center field bringing in one run to tie the game 1-1.

The pitching for the Red Flash was lackluster with three pitching changes in three innings. ASU came alive in the third, scoring a rousing five runs which including two impactful doubles and ended with Chilson hitting her second career home run. ASU's lead grew to 6-1.

"I've just been going up to the plate and being overly anxious so I just tried to calm down and focus on the ball," Chilson said. "I just kept telling myself I can, I can, I can."

Sophomore pitcher Dale Ryndak (5-0) inherited a bases-loaded jam in the fourth after Macha allowed three runs, the final of which was a walk. Ryndak promptly hit a batter by pitch, but she struck out the next hitter to limit the damage. The Red Flash dwindled the Sun Devils’ lead to 6-5.

ASU didn’t let a rocky inning intimidate its powerful offense.

The Sun Devils answered right back with a five-run inning, including a 3-run homer by senior second baseman Nikki Gerard which pulled ASU ahead 11-5. Junior shortstop Chelsea Gonzales contributed to the Sun Devils lead by hitting a booming home run to left field, her 5th of the season.

Ryndak struggled in the circle and gave up a substantial lead in the 6th inning after FSU hit a grand slam making the score 12-9. Ryndak would be relinquished of her pitching duty by redshirt junior pitcher Kelsey Kessler (4-1, 2.36 ERA).

Co-interim head coach Robert Wagner called ASU's pitching a "mental letdown."

"Every game is important, every inning is important and every pitch is important and it seems like we just got a little lackadaisical in the circle," he said.

Kessler didn't allow a run and ASU defeated the Red Flash 12-9.

Next up for the Sun Devils was Mount St. Mary’s. The Sun Devils may have put the MLB Home Run Derby to shame after hitting six home runs in five innings.

The Sun Devils had an explosive offense in the 1st inning scoring six runs including a two-run homer by senior catcher Katee Aguirre, her second of the season.

The home runs didn’t end there.

ASU’s dominating performance was fueled through by the bats of junior shortstop Chelsea Gonzales, senior designated player Jennifer Soria, freshman first baseman Ulufa Leilua, sophomore right fielder Nichole Chilson and Aguiree.

"Everyone did a really good job tonight especially in the first couple innings, we just had a better plan at the plate and were just more focused in the second game." said Gonzales.

In the fist two innings, the Sun Devils managed to score 15 runs off 10 hits.

Kessler didn't need all the support. She stayed in the circle to start this game, throwing a one-hit shutout and striking out eight.

ASU defeated Mount St. Mary’s 17-0.

The Sun Devils look to finish up the Diamond Devil Invitational tomorrow afternoon at 1:00 p.m. against St. Francis University.

ASU Softball finds win against Houston after loss to No. 21 Minnesota

Corner infield positions still up in the air for ASU Softball

Reach the reporter at kcvalen1@asu.edu or follow @kvalenzuela17 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×