Kajikawa Classic recap: ASU softball goes 6-1

Chelsea Gonzales and Jennifer Soria combined for four home runs and 22 RBI in the Sun Devil's first series of the season.

ASU softball started its season with the grueling Kajikawa Classic, a five-day tournament of seven games. Sophomore pitcher Breanna Macha pitched 19 innings, allowing eight runs and striking out 14, while redshirt junior pitcher Kelsey Kessler pitched in four games, coming in to relieve twice.

Senior shortstop Chelsea Gonzales hit her 20th and 21st career home runs on Sunday and knocked in 12 RBI over the weekend. Overall, ASU mercy-ruled four opponents, going 6-1. Enjoy the picture galleries and videos, and for the full game recaps, click on the links on the dates.

Thursday, Feb. 11

The Sun Devils started their season off with a double-header bang, scoring 19 total runs and only allowing one.

In its first game, the Sun Devils defeated Utah State 11-1. Ten of the runs came in the second and third innings, and sophomore outfielder Nichole Chilson hit a three-run home run in the third to propel the team.

In the second game, redshirt junior pitcher Kelsey Kessler assumed the starting role. She didn't allow a single run, giving up six hits, and ASU's offense took care of her. Senior outfielder Jennifer Soria hit a three-run home run in the fourth, and her fourth RBI on the day pushed ASU to an 8-0 win in game two.

Friday, Feb. 12

ASU had its first true challenge of the weekend against No. 8 Tennessee. After the Sun Devils took an early three-run lead, the Volunteers hit a three-run home run off Kessler to tie the game. Neither team scored in regulation, pushing the game to extra innings.

Tennessee got on board in the top of the eight, but ASU tied it at four in the bottom half. With Soria on third, Tennessee threw a wild pitch, allowing her to race home and give ASU its third victory of the season.

Saturday, Feb. 13

A five-run first inning helped ASU mercy rule East Carolina on Saturday. Despite only having five hits in the game, ASU racked up nine runs in five innings. Sophomore pitcher Dale Ryndak and Kessler threw a combined five innings, each giving up only one hit.

Sunday, Feb. 14

The Sun Devils started their double-header an hour and a half late on Sunday, but it did not affect the outcome in a negative way. Macha, Ryndak and Kessler combined for 12 innings of two-run ball and junior shortstop Chelsea Gonzales went 4-5 on the day with two home runs, five RBI and two walks.

After defeating Portland State, ASU took on the University of San Diego to try to make up for last year's defeat. It did. The Sun Devils burst out a five-run fifth inning off a three-run triple from sophomore third baseman Brynley Steele, and ASU placed the mercy rule on USD a few batters later.

Gonzales called this game "revenge."

Monday, Feb. 15

ASU was one day away from completing the seven-game sweep in the Kajikawa Classic, but the success came to a dead halt as the infield failed to provide sufficient support to Macha.

Miscommunication allowed a runner to reach and later score, and the three-run inning propelled No. 18 Kentucky to victory.

Note: Due to an editing error, Gonzales' RBI total was incorrectly reported. It has been corrected.

ASU softball loses final game of Kajikawa Classic

ASU softball beats Portland State, gets "revenge" over San Diego

Reach the sports editor at logan.newman@asu.edu or follow @Logan_Newsman on Twitter.

×