Drew Newmeyer is quietly leading for ASU hockey in final season

Said by his coach to be “timeless” and the “last of a dying breed,” senior defenseman Drew Newmeyer is finishing an eventful career with ASU hockey

Defender Drew Newmeyer’s break away shot is blocked by Minot Sate Goalie Riley Hengen on Nov. 13, 2014. ASU defeated Minot State 5-3. 

Sometimes, doing what’s best for your team may not get your name on a box score or in a newspaper headline – such is the nature of sports.

Sun Devil hockey senior defenseman Drew Newmeyer isn’t a stranger to that sacrifice.

Now in the twilight of his college hockey career, the Arizona native can look back on a time when he had 23 points as a freshman and earned a spot on the WCHL All-Rookie team. 

Today, his name regularly appears near the bottom of ASU’s lineup of defensive pairings. But he had no reservations when he was asked Tuesday about his role on ASU’s penalty killing unit – a role that emphasizes tight defense more than it does flashy goal-scoring.

“I think being on the penalty kill is a position that anybody can do, it’s just a matter of if they want to or not,” Newmeyer said. “It’s not the most glorified position. It’s not the easiest. You don’t get a lot of recognition for it, but I think everybody acknowledges that it’s extremely important and you have to have a good one.”

Newmeyer said doing “little things” like shot-blocking is what makes someone a good penalty killer and earn more ice time. He’s also disciplined, according to the stat sheet. In 18 games played this year, Newmeyer has an even plus-minus rating and is the only player on the team (besides goaltenders) who has yet to take a penalty.

“He’s really smart,” head coach Greg Powers said. “That’s his biggest asset as a player, his brain. He just doesn’t make those mental mistakes.”

Powers has been Newmeyer’s coach since their team was in the American Collegiate Hockey Association – a club hockey league of which ASU was the champion in 2014. Since then, the two have stayed together as the team has elevated to the Division I NCAA level.

“He’s kind of the last of a dying breed with me of kids that have helped us take this to where it is now,” Powers said. “He’s a kid that’s timeless in the sense that like, in ten years, I’ll look back on Drew Newmeyer and think, ‘Yeah, I’d take him on the team right now.’”

Powers wasted no time in emphasizing Newmeyer’s value. When he was first asked about the senior, he immediately said he played a huge role.

“He’s easily one of my favorite kids that I’ve ever coached at any level,” Powers said.

Newmeyer was one of the team captains last year during the "hybrid" schedule, where ASU played both club and NCAA opponents. This year, Newmeyer hasn’t worn a letter – but that doesn’t mean he’s not a leader.

In fact, his leadership might be his biggest contribution to the Sun Devils.

“He’s obviously been around for a long time, so he knows what I look for in kids and what I demand out of our players,” Powers said. “He’s a leader whether he has a letter or not and he knows that. The guys know that.”

Powers said that he gave captaincy to players who had more time to establish themselves. Although Newmeyer isn't wearing a letter this year, he is part of a leadership committee that Powers established this season.

In committee meetings, Newmeyer and a group of other veteran players meet in Powers’ office to discuss new ideas, changes or team status.

Read more: Newmeyer, Croston describe life on the road with ASU hockey

“I just try to be good to the younger kids,” Newmeyer said of his leadership position.

“I remember when I was a freshman, you get to college, it’s totally different from juniors or wherever you came from. Especially here, it’s a big school, there’s a lot of things you can do away from hockey. And just trying to help them out with little things, (like) with classes. If they’re enrolling next semester, you give them a heads-up or just be there for them. There’s a lot – it’s a big change.”

One incoming player during Newmeyer’s tenure with the program was now-junior defenseman Edward McGovern, with whom Newmeyer played in his youth and lived nearby.

“I grew up with Drew, he grew up across the street,” McGovern said. “I texted him about coming here, and he put in a good word for me. That’s how I ended up here, and now we’re roommates.”

Coincidentally, the two defensemen are often coupled on the same defensive pairing together during games.

“It’s a lot of fun playing with him,” McGovern said. “He’s a very smart defenseman, he sees the ice very well. He bails me out quite a bit, so it’s a lot of fun playing with him. He gets me better all the time.”

McGovern and Powers frequently cited Newmeyer’s leadership, culture-building skills, penalty killing role and off-ice energy. In particular, Powers said Newmeyer brings energy to the bench and is “intense.”

When asked what he’ll miss the most, it didn’t take him long to reply with perhaps the most sentimental reply possible: relationships.

What Newmeyer will do next with his intensity, leadership and relationships remains to be seen, but having already accomplished an impactful career with Sun Devil hockey is no small feat.

“That’s a good question,” the finance major chuckled when asked of his plans for the future. “I graduate in December, so I have a little bit of time. But I guess mom says I’ve got to get a job, so I guess that’s next.”

Reach the reporter at matthew.layman@asu.edu or follow @Mattjlayman on Twitter.

×