The Multicultural Greek Council offers a diverse Greek life experience

MGC provides students with a variety of fraternities and sororities driven by cultural diversity and awareness

greek life.jpg

The Multicultural Greek Council hosts an event on the Tempe campus on Tuesday, Sept. 5, 2017. This event is for students to discuss why being a cultural Greek is important to them.

Fraternities and sororities under the Multicultural Greek Council caters to students looking to join organizations that embrace and appreciate many cultures.

According to MGC's website, the council champions inclusivity and diversity across multiple spectrums and focuses on connecting people between the different fraternities and sororities that it oversees.

A board of six executive board members leads MGC. Within the organization, there are 13 distinct chapters made up of five fraternities and eight sororities. 

MGC collaborates with NALFO, the National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations, which is composed of 16 Latinx fraternities and sororities. The Council also collaborates with the National Pan-Hellenic Council, which is composed of nine international fraternities and sororities that encourage interaction through forums and meetings.

MGC President Xena Baza, a senior majoring in pacific studies and a member of the Delta Chi Lambda sorority, said her culture is important to her and it’s changed her way of life.

“To me, my culture is my compass because it tells me my values of what to do and where to go and how to live my life," she said. "It helps me appreciate my present by looking at my past sense of belonging and relating to others.”

MGC's website describes the organization as a system that encourages both academic and personal achievement. The Council's efforts have helped to build a community where students can discuss and appreciate their cultures.

Gregory Nairn, a senior studying health education and health promotion, is a member of the Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. He is also a panel member on the Multicultural Greek Council.

“I wanted to be a part of a fraternity with the same mindset and who wanted to contribute to community service and give back to those in need," he said. "I wanted to be with people who wanted to better the Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.”

Luis Anduray, a sophomore double majoring in justice studies and sociology, is also an MGC panel member and a part of the Sigma Lambda Beta, a Latino-based fraternity. 

“The fraternity makes me who I am and how I carry myself, my morals and the characteristics I pride myself in,” he said.

Reach the reporter at slapprod@asu.edu or follow @sarahlapp14 on Twitter.

×