USGT President resigns

Vice President of Services Nikki Tran will take on the role of president

Sorgeloos-2.jpg

USG Tempe president, Allison Sorgeloos, poses for a photo on ASU's Tempe campus on Thursday, March 1, 2018.

Allison Sorgeloos, the president of Undergraduate Student Government Tempe, announced Tuesday she will resign from her position.

In a resignation letter presented during a regular Senate session, she cited her desire to dedicate more work with Teach For America, an organization that partners with ASU. Her official last day will be Friday, Nov. 16. 

Sorgeloos's departure marks another bump in the already turbulent semester within the USGT organization including alleged bylaws violations, investigations and impeachment hearings

The Senate appointed Vice President of Services Nikki Tran to assume the role of President during the open forum in the meeting. 

USGT bylaws state if a president vacates their position, the Vice President of Policy would take over, however, former VPP John Gimenez was removed from USGT on Nov. 5, following articles of impeachment and a trial. 

Read more: USG Tempe removes VP of Policy from office

USGT Senate President Joshua Blinkoff and Tran said they are working to fill the vacancies left after Gimenez's removal and Tran's appointment as president. 

Tran wrote in a statement to The State Press that she was surprised by the resignation. 

"Being appointed to this position was a complete surprise to me, but I have faith in the USGT staff that we will continue doing our best to serve the student body even with the temporary vacant seats."

Sorgeloos declined to comment to The State Press. 

This is a developing story. More information will be added as it is made available.

Reach the reporter at krquaran@asu.edu and follow @kiaraquaranta on Twitter. 

×