ASU men's basketball suffers devastating defeat at hands of Colorado Buffaloes

Sun Devils fall to 16-8 overall and 7-5 in conference after discouraging loss to Buffaloes

DSC_6222-2.jpg

ASU freshman guard Luguentz Dort (0) puts Colorado sophomore guard McKinley Wright IV (25) on a poster as ASU defeats Colorado 83-61 on Saturday, January 5, 2019 in Tempe, Arizona.

After an inspiring wire-to-wire victory over the Washington Huskies last Saturday, ASU men's basketball had a chance to cement their status as one of the elite teams in the conference. Instead, the Sun Devils played inconsistently in a 77-73 loss to the Colorado Buffaloes. 

ASU struggled defensively all night long, and when it mattered most the team was unable to stop Colorado's dynamic duo of sophomore guards McKinley Wright IV and Tyler Bey, who combined for 46 points in the victory. 

The Sun Devils were led by freshman guard Luguentz Dort, who poured in a team-high 21 points and four rebounds. Many of the other Sun Devils though failed to generate steady offense Wednesday night, as the team as a whole only managed to shoot 42 percent from the field. 

Sophomore guard Remy Martin only converted on four of his 10 shots, including only one-for-three from behind the arc. Junior guard Rob Edwards was equally inefficient, going one-for-seven from the field.

Colorado's Wright had total control of the Buffs from the point guard position, orchestrating a methodical Buffalo's offense that gave ASU trouble all night long. Bey debatably though had an even stronger game than his Colorado counterpart, pouring in 22 points as well as grabbing a career-high 17 rebounds. His dominance in the matchup with ASU's redshirt senior forward Zylan Cheatham was instrumental in the Colorado victory.

Up next for ASU is a matchup with the Utah Utes on Saturday. While the allure of nabbing coach Bobby Hurley’s first conference road sweep is now gone, a win versus Utah is crucial in keeping the Sun Devils' NCAA Tournament hopes alive. 

Reach the reporter at Jrosenfa@asu.edu or follow @jacobrosenfarb on Twitter. 

×