ASU graduate surrenders in fatal hit and run

n03620yg
Torre

By Kristin Koch

State Press

A 28-year-old Phoenix attorney involved in a hit-and-run accident that killed an ASU student turned himself in to Tempe police Monday.

Mark Aaron Torre, who graduated from ASU and Harvard Law School, was escorted by his attorney to the Tempe police station. Torre was charged with leaving the scene of a fatal accident, Tempe police Sgt. Randy Fougner said.

Torre made no statements to police and was released pending further investigation.

Freshman Jessica Woodin, 18, was killed Saturday when a black 2001 Ford Mustang struck her while she was crossing against a red light at Apache Boulevard and McAllister Avenue.

According to police reports, Torre was the driver of the Mustang and abandoned the car a few miles away.

Doug Woodin, Jessica’s father, was surprised by the arrest.

“It has caught me off guard that it was a 28-year-old professional person,” Woodin said from his home in Red Bank, N.J.

Woodin said he feels that Torre should have stopped to help his daughter.

“He did not make the decision to face the responsibility of his actions,” Woodin said.

Police officials said the car that struck Jessica was traveling at least 55 mph in a 35-mph zone.

Tempe police are seeking a passenger they believe was with Torre at the time of the accident. Police are also trying to contact the occupants of a vehicle that was next to Torre’s Mustang at the intersection of Apache Boulevard and Rural Road.

Woodin wants “Jessie,” as she was called by friends and family, to be remembered as an outgoing student.

“She was excited about becoming a student at ASU,” Woodin said. “No words can better describe my daughter than the picture that everyone has seen in the local publications.”

Jessica, the youngest of four, lived under joint custody between her mother and father’s homes in New Jersey.

Jessica’s body will be sent to Red Bank this week. Memorial service is scheduled for Thursday.

“She is being cremated in Arizona,” Woodin said. “The trauma of the accident would only allow cremation.”

In light of his daughter’s death, Woodin urges students to be aware of traffic around them.

“Please just take the extra moment to be sure that you are safe,” he said.

Anyone who has information on Torre’s whereabouts between 5 p.m. Friday and 2 a.m. Saturday is asked to call Tempe police at (480) 350-8311.

Reach Kristin Koch at kristinrose79@asu.edu.

×

This website uses cookies to make your expierence better and easier. By using this website you consent to our use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie Policy.