Fewer parking structures and more on-campus housing may be the solution to traffic congestion surrounding ASU, designers of the University's Comprehensive Development Plan said during a community forum Wednesday.

The plan is a part of President Michael Crow's vision of the "New American University." According to the plan, ASU's main campus will be transformed into a research-based university with more graduate students, said Steve Nielsen, director of planning.

As part of the transformation, ASU will be revamped in many ways, including physical appearance and academic programs, he said. New buildings, renovations, landscaping, housing and parking are among other issues the plan addresses.

Kevin King, senior associate with Ayers Saint Gross, the development company chosen to assist with the plan, said one of the major problems with the layout of ASU is the large parking areas. Big lots mean fewer services for on-campus students.

ASU is located on 370 acres, but surface parking currently covers 95.4 acres of important campus space that could be used for more buildings, King said.

As a solution to the problem, designers hope that creating a mini-city will reduce the need for surface parking, he said.

"We will keep everything close to the campus, provide services for them so they don't have to look somewhere else and eventually, with these new services, the need for cars will fade," King added.

Park-and-rides, transit incentives and a bicycle-and pedestrian-friendly environment are being considered to help reduce the problem, he said.

Tempe resident Judy Ellison attended the forum and said she was concerned about the traffic overflow from Mill Avenue and University Drive. She said she was excited about having these meetings because ASU is allowing more community input in the design process.

"I think this is a new beginning," she said. "This is the first time we've been included in anything from ASU. It'll improve the community and I'm very optimistic about it."

More public discussions about the design of ASU Main will begin in May.

Reach the reporter at jacqueline.shoyeb@asu.edu.

×