A film that has stirred controversy nationwide is being released today, but some local groups on campus say the religious storm has gone too far.

Mel Gibson's "The Passion of The Christ" has spurred cries of anti-Semitism from people ranging from film critics to members of the Anti-Defamation League, largely because of the film's portrayal of Jewish people beating and demanding the death of Jesus Christ.

"What's upsetting is not the story," said Rabbi Barton Lee of ASU's Hillel Jewish Student Center. "What's upsetting is that ... the passion story was used historically to stir up hatred of Jews, and it's clear the Christian doctrine says that the death of Jesus was caused not by the Jews, but by human sin."

Lee also said that the movie's "excessive violence and bloodlines" could manipulate moviegoers because the scenes evoke strong emotions.

The film centers on the last 12 hours of Christ's life and graphically depicts the brutal beatings and crucifixion carried out by Roman soldiers, as well as beatings committed by Jewish soldiers.

At one point in the film, before Christ carries the cross, he is flogged more than 60 times with various devices. His entire body is covered with gashes and bleeds profusely.

Though the Romans carry out the majority of the beatings in the movie, Jewish leaders and their followers repeatedly call for his crucifixion.

Lee said the call for a crucifixion was a political move of the Roman Empire and the Jewish high priest who served Pontius Pilot.

"[The portrayal] leaves the suggestions that it was not the Roman imperial system that did Jesus in, but the Jews. And that kind of distortion is troubling," he said.

Though Nathan Castle, director and priest of the All Saints Catholic Newman Center, has not seen the movie, he said he thinks the movie has nothing to do with anti-Semitism.

"Jesus was a revolutionary and revolutionaries often end up killed for their beliefs," he said. "His ideas were challenging powerful people, and that often gets rewarded with persecution."

Chuck Schwaninger, ministry director for ASU's Campus Crusade for Christ, said that people are taking the focus off the point of the film.

"Jesus didn't die because of [the Jews or Romans]. He died because he had to die for the sins of man," he said, in reference to a Christian belief.

The delicate subject matter and controversy has psychology sophomore Jacki Gross interested in seeing the film, but she said she thinks it's just another Hollywood ploy for big bucks.

"You should just see it as something that is made for Hollywood," Gross said. "[Hollywood film producers are] going to put out there what the public will react to the most. It may not be true, but they want to do what makes them the most money."

Reach the reporter at jacqueline.shoyeb@asu.edu.

×