Arizona Cardinals kicker Neil Rackers is no longer solely remembered for launching the pigskin between two tall, yellow bars.

After his point-after attempt was blocked in the second quarter Sunday, an irate Rackers took his frustration out on the facemask of a Washington Redskins player.

The two players latched onto each other's helmets like kids fighting over common sense.

I would have rather seen the gloves come off, the bullpens empty, or Ron-Ron jump into the crowd.

But Rackers's anger may have gotten the best of him as he left a game-winning field goal in the closing seconds wide left.

Which brings us to the real question here: Are kickers and punters real football players?

Like many of you, I too thought of these "athletes" as necessary, but awkward parts of the game.

That is until I saw ASU's football team vault into the fourth spot of the much-maligned BCS rankings.

A large part of the Sun Devils' success, aside from a running Ryan Torain and a game-breaking Troy Nolan — is none other than First Team Halfway All-America selection Thomas Weber.

And as ASU's current scoring leader — you can bet he's a kicker.

×