Backing Palestine

(In response to Oday Shahin’s Tuesday column “Deconstructing Gaza.”)

Thank you so very much for the printing of “Deconstructing Gaza.” It's a very eloquent and honest article, which the whole world should have the privilege of reading.

The tragedies in Gaza must end and the only way this will happen is if the world is united and speaks out. The world needs more brave, honest and compassionate writers like Oday Shahin. He wrote an excellent piece, and I commend him for it.

Heike Winnig Reader

This article is the first extremely important step in educating readers about the unfortunate realities the Palestinians are facing as a result of the blockade. Sadly, many people do not understand how terribly illegal the blockade is and the humanitarian disaster it is imposing on the Palestinians. Shahin made a sufficient effort of summarizing the complex blockade situation with the brief history that was provided.

It may be beneficial for our student population to see a week-long series regarding the Palenstinian-Israeli conflict, its history and evolution. Or at the very least a weekly update on the peace process President Barack Obama seems to be making headway on.

In closing, I truly appreciated Shahin's call to action at the end of the article and offered what I can do as a reader to help deconstruct the blockade, hence this response.

Alicia Fremling University Innovation Fellow

×