Letters: Sep. 24

Emoting the dream

(In response to Athena Salman’s Sept. 23 column “Giving people the opportunity to dream.”)

I lived in Mexico City for several years, and I appreciate and value the Latino culture. This is a matter of laws and obeying the law. I'm grateful to live in a country where the laws are respected. In Mexico, the perception of laws and legality is very different. Yes, there are measures that need to be taken to expedite the legalization process. In the meantime, I invite Latinos who live here illegally to express gratitude for the many freedoms they do enjoy.

Take the emotion and hype out of this issue. Actually, don't. Feel passionate about America. Feel passionate about our wonderful legal system, and feel passionate about obeying the law.

Sure, I feel sorry for Latinos who don't have documentation, but it doesn't change the fact that they are illegal. I feel sorry for the driver who gets pulled over for speeding, too. It wasn't his fault; his Dad gave him the car, right? But he was driving the car, not his Dad.

I invite everyone to stop speeding. I also invite all nationalities and races to obey the law with exactness, and to stop making excuses for disobedience to the law.

An immigrant with the desire to become a part of America will respect its laws even if he or she was brought here illegally. Immigrants do not have to continue the law-breaking traditions of their parents.

I invite all illegal immigrants, whether Chinese, German, Mexican or Russian, to leave the country. By doing so you will be supporting and cherishing the values of the country where you long to live. Honesty is the best policy. Don't cheat the system, or you'll be cheated of your values.

Ryan Hartwig

Undergraduate

×