GO YOUR OWN WAY

(In response to Athena Salman’s Nov. 4 column “Destroying education through privatization.”)

Athena Salman, in her recent article seems to have missed two important points. First, replacing $400 million of state funding with $400 million of private funding doesn’t magically make the quality of education worse. Second, the money from the state that Ms. Salman is calling for isn’t there, and barring a sudden economic boom that restores our revenue to pre-crash levels is not going to be there. The reality is that our legislature is about as reliable as Blackboard, and as long as we depend on them, so will our tuition levels. We need another way, and that way is self-sufficiency.

Corbin Smith

Undergraduate

ON THE OFFENSIVE

On Nov. 2nd, Sun Devils for Israel and Hillel hosted former Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) soldier Nadav Weinberg on campus to address ASU students about his experiences as a soldier and explain the ethics of the IDF. […] During Weinberg’s presentation, dozens of members of Students for Justice in Palestine arrived and filled the room. Before he had a chance to explain his views of the IDF, the members stood up, interrupting Weinberg, and displayed the names of deceased Palestinian children on their shirts. They then walked out and refused to listen to Weinberg, slapping the respectful and welcoming hand he offered to them despite their opposition to him.

What the members of SJP organized is completely disrespectful to a guest on our campus. I understand that they have a right to display their dislike for Weinberg and the IDF. It is also fair of them to recognize the right of others to display the names of Israeli children killed as a result of Palestinian resistance. […] The theatrics displayed by SJP members are neither constructive nor necessary.

Alexandra McKane

Reader

×