Non-Required Reading: Bono and the Hero

If sacrifices had to be made, I say drop the guy on the right. Image courtesy of Spider-Man on Broadway's official site.

So, let’s start from the top.  Last time, I explained a little bit of the problems faced with Julie Taymor and the Spider-Man musical.  Today I’m going to lay the blame on Bono and The Edge.

Now let me explain myself. I love me some '80s U2.  "The Joshua Tree" album is pretty sweet, and most of their music back when they were having  fun is rad.

Then things got serious. Look at songs like “The Sweetest Thing” and “Walk On” and tell me it’s not overly emotional crap.

Then Bono decided to be hip or deep and count to four in Spanish with the word “catorce."  I’m sorry 14, but you lost me.

So, if this had been 1980’s U2 writing this music, I guarantee it could have been pretty damn rad. But instead, we get emotional and meaningful Bono with The Edge putting together music for a show about a GUY WHO USES WEBBING TO SWING AROUND NEW YORK CITY.

You think they might be missing the point yet? I think they starting missing the point when “The Edge” became an actual entity separate from the band.

It’s not hard to worry about a show that requires flips and hoop-de-doo antics and uses music from a band that has devolved into mediocrity.

I haven’t even covered the fact that there have been serious fines, serious injuries and problems with almost everything possible.

Marvel Entertainment finally wised up and hired a writer who has actually WRITTEN a Spider-Man comic to fix the script.

Will it ever actually open? I can’t say. Odds are it has to in an attempt to make its money back. And by the time it opens it could be absolutely amazing.

Not going to lie, but I doubt it.

-Dan

×