WALK THIS WAY

The new USG initiative, Walk Your Wheels, is certainly well-intentioned. Pedestrian and bike traffic on the Tempe campus can be perilous and almost un-navigable. Encouraging bicyclists and skateboarders to dismount on campus is not only unlikely to work but is also a shortsighted approach to ASU’s huge congestion issue.

To start, almost no one I have seen on campus “walks his or her wheels” further than the nearest bike rack or building. The Tempe campus is very large and extremely hot.

Bikes and other wheels are necessary to many for an efficient, comfortable commute. The prizes that USG offers, like Sun Dollars, bicycle safety equipment, Sun Devil Football tickets, a pizza party and even an iPad” to people walking their wheels hardly seems worthwhile.

Who would give up a fast, reliable means of transportation for a raffle ticket to possibly receive a random prize? Students frequently have extremely busy schedules, and many don’t want to be subjected to the sun for long anyway.

There are other options, too. ASU could have bike paths painted on to walkways in central locations, and/or pedestrian and wheels-only peripheral paths. In addition to enabling wheel-users with bike paths, walking could be made more appealing by providing shade in the form of trees and covered paths.

Instead of attempting to stop the natural behavior of commuters, it would be better to work with current modes of transportation to create a safer, less congested commute.

USG may have the safety of students in mind, but Walk Your Wheels is a feeble initiative that overlooks actual behavior and more effective, proven solutions.

Kevina Tidwell

Undergraduate

×