The Best Local Philly Cheesesteaks

Photo by Christina Arregoces.
Photo by Christina Arregoces.

“One Famous Philly and a small fountain drink!” shouts the blond cashier over her shoulder as she punches the order into the little electronic screen in front of her. The air is saturated with that perfect aromatic combination of cooked onions, bell peppers and ground beef, and the sound of metal spatulas hitting metal stovetops within the open kitchen. Though the setting and cashier may be specific to Geno’s Cheesesteaks and Deli, the smells and sounds are the very same that can be found in the best Philly Cheesesteak restaurants in the Tempe area. So get your napkins ready, because these are your top three Arizona Philly cheesesteaks:

Geno’s Cheesesteaks and Deli ? Walk into Geno’s on Rural Road and University Drive and you’ll be greeted immediately with the succulent smells of hot dogs and hamburgers, and the sight of a very large menu packed with every ingredient you could hope for. The Tempe restaurant is open and bright, filled with booths and a handful of flat screens lining the walls, giving it a comfortable, almost sports-bar-like atmosphere. But the real reason to make the trip to Geno’s is for the very first name you see on the menu: Geno’s Famous Philly. The ingredients are simple enough – pick either steak or chicken, and it’ll be mixed in with juicy grilled onions and Geno’s famous cheese sauce. Get a half or even a whole order – you won’t regret it. And though the Famous Philly is the classic choice, the selection doesn’t end there. There’s the Mushroom Philly, the Provolone Philly, the Pepper Philly, the Veggie Philly, and even the Pizza Philly (made with pizza sauce and a wonderful selection of cheeses). Add that to the fact that you can get virtually any topping you can think of (from the sweet to the spicy) tossed in with your cheesesteak. But perhaps the best aspects of Geno’s? They’re open until 4 a.m. And they deliver.

Geno’s Cheesesteaks and Deli 829 S. Rural Rd., Tempe (480) 804-1111, genoscheesesteaks.com

Corleone’s Planning a night out on the town at the lively Mill Avenue? Then make sure you plan on stopping by Coreleone’s at Fourth Street and Mill Avenue. Coreleone’s serves everything from pizza to old-fashioned style hoagies – but just like Geno’s, the cheesesteaks are their true specialty. Coreleone’s offers four main “killer” Famous Steaks: the Philly Original (“Whiz Wit”), the Piazan Pizza Steak, Little Joey’s Cheesesteak Hoagie and the Steak Italiano. But even with their great variety, perhaps the most redeeming quality of the Corleone’s cheesesteaks is their dedication to the authentic. As their website promises, the cheesesteak is “Truly a sandwich you cannot refuse!” And stepping in to the restaurant itself is akin to stepping in to the dining room belonging to the famous Don Vito Coreleone – one look at the establishment’s sign, which features a picture of a suited man holding not a gun and a canoli, but a cheesesteak and a pizza, and you’ll feel like you’re about to meet the Godfather himself. And not only does Coreleones make a great Philly, their french fries are a customer favorite. Make sure you order them cheese style – a batch of golden crispy fries slathered in a creamy nacho sauce.

Corleone’s 411 S. Mill Ave. Ste. #102, Tempe (480) 966-8558, corleones.net

DeFalco’s Italian Eatery Separate from the sports bar atmosphere of Geno’s Cheesesteaks and Deli and the classic streets-of-Philadelphia style of Corleone’s is DeFalco’s Italian Eatery on Scottsdale Road and Oak Street. In a league of its own, DeFalco’s combines the delicious and broad menu of a classic deli with the entirely authentic atmosphere of a rustic Italian marketplace making it a triple threat: “Italian Eatery, Grocery, and Deli.” With your first few steps in the door, you’ll find yourself standing between aisles stocked full with Italian ingredients, boxed pastas, and thick sauces in rustic-looking jars, creating a perfect mixture of “the old world’ and ‘new world’ combined.” The restaurant and marketplace even has a healthy dose of history to it: with roots tracing back to Abuzzi, Italy, DeFalco’s is still family-owned and its homemade recipes and traditions have been passed down for more than 100 years. So it should come as no surprise that the DeFalco’s Cheesesteak is, in a word, exceptional. “Thin-sliced rib-eye topped with melted cheese and served on an Italian Roll,” states the DeFalco’s menu. The cheesesteak is, of course, at the very top of the list. “On request, add fried peppers, onions, and mushrooms.” And one should certainly make that request. And as soon as you order your cheesesteak from the incredibly friendly DeFalco family staff, you can take your seat at any one of the cozy little tables, woven between aisles of vintage wines and desserts. Speaking of dessert, the coffee bar at DeFalco’s features a wide range of classic coffee drinks – that is, if you still have room after indulging in such a delicious and authentic cheesesteak.

DeFalco’s Italian Eatery 2334 N. Scottsdale Road, Suite 133A, Scottsdale (480) 990-8660, defalcosdeli.com

Contact the reporter at christina.arregoces@asu.edu

×