Newcomers mature in second day of football practice

ASU’s veteran football players had their own practice Wednesday morning, so there was no need for them to return to the Bill Kajikawa Football Practice Fields later in the evening for the newcomers’ session.

But that didn’t stop senior safety Alden Darby from coming back to support the newcomers for the second consecutive night.

Throughout the practice, Darby made his presence felt on and off the field. He played a number of roles, including leading the secondary from the sideline, exciting the defense during 11-on-11 drills and offering advice to players from other positions.

Although it was simply a supplement to the newcomers’ progress, Darby’s extra commitment clearly wore off on new defenders like freshman linebacker Alani Latu.

“He’s a stud,” Latu said. “I asked him for help as a linebacker and he knew what I needed to do. Alden Darby is an all-around great player. He knows everything.”

Coach Todd Graham’s objective for splitting up the newcomers and the veterans for the first two days of practice was to allow the incoming players to mature and transition before merging on Wednesday.

After Wednesday’s practice, Graham said he believes they are on the right track.

“I’m really impressed with how well they communicate,” Graham said.

The newcomers’ emphasis on communication was evident throughout the night and as the Sun Devils participated in 11-on-11 drills, many defenders on the sidelines intensely discussed schemes while watching their teammates on the field call out commands moments before snaps.

The defense’s performance — notably from the freshmen safeties — was good enough for Graham to give a nod to secondary coach Chris Ball in the middle of the session. Graham told the media at the end of practice that freshman safeties Marcus Ball and James Johnson are competing against redshirt freshman safety Viliami Moeakiola for the field safety starting spot.

The secondary also received guidance from redshirt senior cornerback Osahon Irabor, who has been practicing with the newcomers because of a class scheduling conflict. At one point Irabor directed the secondary in pre-snap communication with Darby assisting from the sideline.

“We teach them progression,” Irabor said. “We’re working in tandem so we’re teaching (that) you got to look the other guy in the eye and make sure you’re on the same page … We can’t afford to have miscommunication.”

Irabor said the newcomers are already starting to settle in and become comfortable with one another even though ASU’s season opener against Sacramento State is still 26 days away.

The defense mobbed redshirt senior defensive back Jordan Simone in a celebration after he took an interception back for a touchdown.  The offense did the same to Jefferson after he hauled in a long touchdown pass from redshirt sophomore quarterback Michael Eubank.

As Simone’s teammates were giving him high-fives after his interception, Darby gave the transfer from Washington State a warm message:

“Welcome to the Birdgang!”

Notes

- Redshirt sophomore wide receiver Jaelen Strong, junior wide receiver Joe Morris, redshirt junior defensive back Damarious Randall and junior linebacker Eriquel Florence all missed practice for the second straight day as ASU is still waiting on their transfer paperwork to process.

- Graham said the team will wear pads for Thursday’s practice, something it didn’t do the first two days. The Pac-12 now limits teams to two full-contact practices per week. Allowing contact for the next practice will give the coaching staff a better scope at the players’ progress.

-On the newcomers' offensive end, Graham praised freshmen wide receivers Ellis Jefferson and Cameron Smith for the second consecutive night. After Monday’s practice, Graham said Smith and Jefferson, along with freshman wide receiver Ronald Lewis, could see game experience over the course of the season.

Reach the reporter at jnacion@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Josh_Nacion

×