Tempe Police: Man attempts to hide cocaine in trash

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Thursday:

A 27-year-old Tempe man was arrested Nov. 9 on Mill Avenue and University Drive on suspicion of possession of marijuana, narcotic drugs and prescription drugs, according to a police report.

Officers said a vehicle was traveling southbound on Mill Avenue, and it appeared that the front seat passenger had a glass bottle of beer in his hands.

Officers contacted the man and could smell burning marijuana coming from inside the vehicle, according to the report.

A search revealed a plastic baggie with a green leafy substance believed to be marijuana inside of the driver’s door handle, police said.

The man told officers the marijuana belonged to him but he had a medical marijuana card. When the man gave the officers the card, they discovered it had expired, according to the report.

The man kept leaning against a trash can and touching the back of his pants, according to the report. Police said he did this several times and was told to stop and finally had to be physically moved away from the trash can, the report said.

After the man was arrested, police searched the trash can and it was revealed that he had dropped a baggie containing a rock substance that was later confirmed to be cocaine, police reported.

When officers searched the man, they found four Carisoprodol prescription pills in his right front coin pocket, according to the report. Police said he did not have a prescription for the drugs in his possession or the prescription bottle.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail where he was booked.

Reports compiled by Kelcie Grega.

Reach the reporter at kgrega@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @KelcieGrega

×