ASU football Media Day: Todd Graham discusses recruiting, tradition and more

Entering a crucial year for his program, Graham had much to discuss

Football media day 004 Todd Graham
Head coach Todd Graham speaks at a press conference during football media day on Saturday, Aug. 8, 2015, at the Carson Student-Athlete Center.

Expectations are high for ASU football in 2015. Head coach Todd Graham has made that clear.

"I think (it's) an unprecedented time in our football history here," Graham said in his opening statement at ASU Media Day Saturday. "We've got a great tradition here, got a great past.  But when you look at all the things going on, it's pretty cool to look out the door, see the new stadium going in.  You're thinking, you know, 24 months, man, we'll have a brand‑new stadium, brand‑new football complex.  That's a lot of stuff to get done in your third year.  Really, really blessed to be able to do that."

From offseason drama to renewed expectations and competitive recruiting, Graham had plenty to speak about during the program's annual media day.

Here are some of the highlights:

Tradition

The tradition Graham speaks of has been built rather quickly and creating a successful program at a school with as checkered a football history as ASU has been tough to do.

But 28 wins, including back-to-back 10-win seasons and a 2013 Pac-12 South title, means something.

It also means that the road to the top isn't over yet.

"The discipline, the character, the culture of really wanting and seeking to be a smart team, a team that does the little things right," Graham said. "That's the key. We're 90% of the way there, if makes sense. Until you win a championship, we're not there."

Progress is a requirement, Graham said. Anything less means that the program has peaked.

"Worst thing we can do is stay the same," he said. "Man, that's what is so hard. What's so hard about winning 10 (games) is Coach Cassidy was with me every day. He'll tell you that I was miserable to win 10 games last year. So was everybody around here because our expectations were a lot higher than that. And so was our potential, you know what I mean?"

Focus

ASU enters 2015 in a place it usually isn't — in the national spotlight.

They're ranked 16th in the preseason Amway USA Today Coaches' Poll, their highest ranking since 2008. 

They open the season in a nationally televised game in a neutral site in Houston, Tex. against an SEC West opponent in Texas A&M.

That said, Graham said the process remains the same — the expectation is to win, and win a lot.

"I think our guys believe they can win up to this point," he said. "I think there's an expectation now. You can talk big game. You got to have training and you got to have knowledge to back it up. I think we're getting to the point where we're getting there.

"I can tell you this:  I don't know what everybody else is doing, but I know our team is a heck of a lot better."

Discipline

Head coach Todd Graham speaks at a press conference during football media day on Saturday, Aug. 8, 2015, at the Carson Student-Athlete Center. (Ben Moffat/The State Press)

When ASU hired Todd Graham as their head coach in Dec. 2011, their program had ranked near the bottom of the country in penalty yardage in each of the previous two seasons.

In three seasons, Graham has turned this program into one based on discipline, which made it into one of the top programs in the country, let alone the Pac-12, in penalty yardage.

"It's because that's what wins," Graham said, explaining the focus on discipline. "Whether you're running a business or whatever you're running, if you will emphasize service. We talk about character, we talk about serving, and sacrificing, right? You talk about smart. That's about making smart decisions."

Graham, as he reiterated throughout the press conference, hates being stagnant. Progress is the only solution.

"So we've come a long way," he said. "But I'm telling you, like the penalty deal is not something that was very difficult for me because, you know. When I talk about discipline, I want you to understand it's self‑discipline in the player. I actually personally ask each one of them for permission to coach them hard. The key is there buy‑in. Going from dead last in penalties to top in the Pac‑12, it has a lot to do with education and culture."

Graham also alluded to the offseason troubles of former linebacker Davon Durant and current freshman defensive lineman George Lea, who each were arrested in separate cases.

"Let me tell you this now, we haven't been immune," Graham said. "We have a few kids get in trouble, stuff like that. But, you know, let me tell you this, that's not our attitude. Our deal is 100 percent.  That's how you know we're not there yet."

Recruiting

ASU's recruiting classes have grown steadily in Graham's tenure. Their reported 2016 recruiting class currently sits at 11 commitments, all of which have earned a three-star ranking or higher on Rivals.com.

Graham was even 20 minutes late to his own press conference because he was talking to a "really, really good receiver" prospect. According to SunDevilSource.com's Chris Karpman, local five-star (Rivals) wide receiver prospect N'Keal Harry was that receiver.

Having such outstanding classes is the key to turning something good into something great in Tempe, Graham said.

"Recruiting is about diligence," he added. "We're good. We're trying to be elite."

The biggest key to success in recruiting, however, is success on the football field.

While ASU has been successful in achieving a new benchmark in winning a double-digit amount of games, the ultimate achievement in recruiting and in football comes in championships.

"All you got to do in recruiting is go win 15 games and I think we'll get better," Graham said. "You know what I'm saying? That's what I tell people. I have so much respect for D.J (Foster). He was such a mature kid.

"See, in recruiting, it matters who you are as a person," he said. "What are you looking for? People clearly know what we're about. We have a clear identity, right? Program's in the Pac‑12, top-15 program in the country."

Local Talents

Freshman quarterback Bryce Perkins poses for a photo during football media day on Saturday, Aug. 8, 2015, at the Carson Student-Athlete Center. (Ben Moffat/The State Press)

Foster, who was the first local player to join Graham at ASU, has become a symbol for the program's "Stay True" campaign with local products.

The lone active FBS player with more than 1,500 career rushing and 1,500 career receiving yards, Foster has enjoyed great success as a Sun Devil a created a model that players have followed en route to Tempe.

"D.J. trusted me," Graham said. "Moreover than that, it wasn't about Coach Graham, he wanted to be a Sun Devil. That's why he came here. I think he trusted us from a schematic standpoint. The relationship he built with me and Mike (Norvell), I think he did trust us."

The latest "Hometown Hero" has been freshman quarterback Bryce Perkins, who came to the program as a three-star prospect after leading Chandler High School to their first state championship since 1949. 

Now, he's following in Foster's footsteps.

"I'll tell you a guy, one of the most impressive young men, when I think about local guys, is Bryce Perkins," Graham said. "Most underrated guy. Ratings and all that stuff. ...That guy, he's been impressive. He's going to be impressive. A guy that fits what we're about."

Another local product, redshirt senior guard Christian Westerman out of Hamilton High School (Perkins' rival high school), took a different route to ASU through Auburn.

"So, you know, Christian, look at that story," Graham said. "He went to Auburn. They just won a national championship. He told me in two, three days here he got more love than the entire time he was there at Auburn. It was a great official visit. If you're from here. I think you'll see that. I think you'll see you reap what you sow."

D.J. Foster

Senior running back D.J. Foster gives an interview during football media day on Saturday, Aug. 8, 2015, at the Carson Student-Athlete Center. (Ben Moffat/The State Press)

Foster enters a new role in his senior season — a leader. He does so from a different position, as he is transitioning from running back to wide receiver in 2015. 

Not much should change, however, Graham said. 

"Just so you know, because I don't want you guys saying I'm full of crap after the first game," Graham said. "That's been blown out of proportion a little bit. So everybody's clear on what D.J. is doing, D.J. is primarily playing receiver, yes, but that doesn't mean he's not going to be in the backfield. If you told me who is the MVP of training camp, it would far and away be D.J. He's taken his intensity, his passion, his fundamentals, I mean his competitiveness, and he's flat leading. I mean, fanatical energy in practice and in the meetings."

The quarterback situation

Redshirt freshman quarterback Manny Wilkins participates in football media day on Saturday, Aug. 8, 2015, at the Carson Student-Athlete Center. (Ben Moffat/The State Press)

ASU returns redshirt senior quarterback Mike Bercovici, who is entering his first season as the starting quarterback.

But who's behind him?

Currently slated in the backup quarterback slots are redshirt freshman Manny Wilkins and freshmen Brady White and Bryce Perkins, all of which have a combined total of zero collegiate snaps.

Bercovici knows as well as anyone the important of being prepared as a backup, stepping in and starting three games after Taylor Kelly broke his foot against Colorado.

That said, Bercovici had the experience to step in. Graham said he wasn't quite sure what to make of his current crop.

"I think the bigger story is who's going to be number two because last year if you asked me that question, I would say, I'm not worried about the quarterback," he said. "I've not worried about the quarterback since I've been here. I'm worried about quarterback because we have one that I feel really, really good about. We got a lot of talent, right, that is young. We need to really develop that. It's been a good, you know, four or five days so far. I feel confident that they'll get there."

This is Bercovici's team, Graham said. The key is to keep working.

"The key for him is what I told him today," Graham said. "I want you to do everything you do right now just like Taylor Kelly is still here. You know what I'm saying? Compete like that every day.

"Probably the thing is, (Kelly) got more yards than anybody that's ever played here. He would tell you he'd trade it for a championship every day, right? Mike Bercovici starts as the quarterback.  His experience, his sacrifices, what he's invested in this program I think really gives us a great opportunity to compete for a championship this year. So I like that."

Stay tuned for more updates from ASU fall camp.

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×