GOP Presidential candidates: Cut the theatrics

The first Republican debate of the 2016 election cycle was everything but informative. These candidates need to amp up their debating skills if they are looking to win the upcoming election.

Donald Trump immigration speech high view
Presidential candidate Donald Trump gives a speech on illegal immigration on Saturday, July 11, 2015, at the Phoenix Convention Center.

A night full of crude behavior, Rosie O’Donnell jokes and arrant remarks — No, I’m not talking about an episode of "The View," I’m describing the first Republican debate of the 2016 presidential election season.

On Thursday, 10 of the 17 GOP presidential hopefuls duked it out on stage in Cleveland, Ohio in hopes of winning their party’s nomination. The anticipated evening was nothing short of entertaining. Unfortunately, the two-hour debate was just that — entertainment. For those who were hoping for a closer look at the candidates: It looks like you’ll have to wait a few more months.

Fox News anchor and one of the debate moderators for the night, Bret Baier, started the show off by demanding the candidates pledge to support the future Republican nominee, whoever he or she may be. The request was intentionally for the party's front-runner Donald Trump, which sparked the night's foolish antics.

Trump replied, “I have to respect the person that, if it’s not me, the person that wins. If I do win–and I’m leading by quite a bit–that’s what I want to do. I can totally make the pledge if I’m the nominee.” He then refused to pledge his support.

With the debate not yet officially started, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., interrupted Trump, claiming he “buys and sells politicians of all stripes.” He asserted that if Trump doesn’t win the Republican nomination, he’d run as an Independent or give his money to the leading Democratic presidential candidate, Hillary Clinton.

To which Trump smirked, “I’ve given you plenty of money.”

Trump goofed off throughout the night, making a joke out of every question. When Fox News host and debate moderator, Megyn Kelly, sharply questioned Trump about his disparaging comments about women, calling them  “fat pigs, dogs, slobs and disgusting animals,” Trump raised one finger and said, “Only Rosie O’Donnell.”

Trump wasn’t the only amateurish candidate on stage; Paul seemed combative the entire evening. He interrupted Gov. Chris Christie, R-N.J., when he was expressing his admiration for the National Surveillance Agency’s work, interjecting,  “I don’t trust President Obama with our records. I know you gave him a big hug, and if you want to give him a big hug again, go right ahead.”

Former Arkansas Governor, Mike Huckabee also inferred that transgender people shouldn’t be able to serve openly in the military. Huckabee stated, “The military isn’t a social experiment. The purpose of the military is to kill people and break things.“

Gov. Scott Walker, R-Wis., and neurosurgeon Ben Carson used their airtime to bash Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton. Walker claimed everything the former Secretary of State has “touched is more messed up today,” and Carson insinuated that she is “taking advantage of useful idiots.”

Some presidential candidates like Sen. John Kasich, R-Ohio, former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, and Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., used their screen time wisely. Kasich struck a chord with many when he discussed his position on gay marriage; Rubio constructively deliberated Common Core; and Bush explained his plans for immigration reform. Despite their efforts to actually debate, it was evident that the majority of candidates were trying to out-trump Trump. The night was overshadowed by outlandish, intrusive behavior.

During an election season with over 20 presidential aspirants, these debates need to be taken seriously. The American public is looking at these debates for guidance. People are watching to see who will be the best next Commander-in-Chief for the country. This isn’t a time for stand-up comedy or eye rolling. This is an important step in the public’s decision for president. These GOP presidential candidates should be using their precious screen time to show people why they are the best fit.

Hopefully during the next GOP debate, Trump and the rest of his conservative competitors can provide legitimate ideas and arguments instead of acting like teenagers. Perhaps leave the irrelevant Rosie O’Donnell retorts at home, too?

Reach the columnist at ambice@asu.edu or follow @AllieBice on Twitter.

×