If you have visited Facebook in the past month, you’ve probably been entranced by a recipe becoming reality. “TASTY” has led a revolution to render cookbooks useless with its hypnotic ability to make every dish look doable.

No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter M&M Balls

Posted by Tasty on Saturday, October 17, 2015

I have neither the ambition nor the kitchen to actually make the dishes, and yet I spend ungodly amounts of time mesmerized by the sped-up tutorials. When I realized that TASTY was a product of Buzzfeed, it all made sense — of course I couldn’t look away.

Buzzfeed has nailed the art of Internet aesthetic, learned the lingo of 2015 and can infiltrate modern culture like no other publication today. The online-media hub has a presence everywhere the kids do — on cell phones, social media and more. It is a brave, cool and fast click of a button that happens to be everywhere you look.

People don’t have the attention span they once did because they no longer need to. It is 2015; if we millennials want something now, why wait? Short videosGIFs and numbered lists are a smart way to capture an audience in a clear and entertaining way.

Audiences watch “The Try Guys” on YouTube, take quizzes to determine which Wes Anderson character they are (I got Suzie Bishop from “Moonrise Kingdom”) and use Buzzfeed News for its simplicity.

The media is no longer limited to news, and citizens today can control what they see and how they see it. Therefore, there is merit in using short, amusing and aesthetically pleasing clips to get a point across.

“TASTY” is the best thing to happen to social media since GIFs, and I foresee more information consumed in this manner. Quick, to-the-point multimedia is what people want, simply because it's more convenient. No one wants to spend valuable time on such remedial tasks as reading or calling a grandmother for recipes anymore.

Related Link:

Looking for news in all the wrong places

Reach the columnist at smmaki@asu.edu or follow @symmaki on Twitter.

×