ASU football looks to avoid same late mistakes against Washington State

After letting another close game slip by, ASU looks for some revenge on the road

Football Oregon touchdown Q4
Oregon redshirt junior Dwayne Stanford makes a catch against ASU on Thursday, Oct. 29, 2015, at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe.

One thing is simple at this point for ASU football — head coach Todd Graham is tired of losing close games. 

"We've had a really good football team but the reality is we've lost a couple close games," Graham said. "I told them, 'Man, let's go win.' We have a great group of seniors, we're in control of what is in front of us and let's just go and have some fun."

In order to do so, the Sun Devils have to address some correctable mistakes that have cost them as of late.

"You go back and look at the film and there's a handful of plays that just end up costing us," offensive coordinator Mike Norvell said. "We have to make sure that we eliminate those to get a 'W' this week (vs. Washington State)."

The most recent instance came in ASU's 61-55 triple overtime loss to Oregon last week, where two consecutive pass plays on the goal line led to a game-sealing interception. 

Norvell, speaking for the first time Wednesday since that game, explained the situation.

"Both those were run-pass options," Norvell said. "Oregon is a team that, down inside the 5 (yard line), they're going to do one of two things: they're going to play you in a bracket zone or they're going to play man. The first touchdown that we had to Devin (Lucien) was off the first (down) play call (in triple overtime). We came back with the second call and D.J. Foster in the slot — a run-pass option that we just didn't execute very well."

Norvell said the majority of the play calls late in the fourth quarter and during the overtime periods were run-pass options. As Oregon keyed on running backs Demario Richard, Kalen Ballage and D.J. Foster, much of the emphasis fell on redshirt senior quarterback Mike Bercovici to take off and run or find a man open in space.

"You go back in every game and you see the position that you're putting the guys in," Norvell said. "There's a couple calls that you'd probably want a different situation but every scenario that we get down (in the red zone) I've got a specific plan on what we've got to try to accomplish."

Another late mistake came on the final possession of regulation, as Oregon quarterback Vernon Adams Jr. evaded tacklers on fourth down to toss up a heave to the end zone that resulted in the game-tying touchdown. 

"You've got to pressure the quarterback and you can't let guys get outside the pocket and that was most of the issue," co-defensive coordinator Keith Patterson said. "The guy is out there on air and if we keep the guy contained, maybe it's a different game. On the one where he just flings if up to the end zone, if we keep him contained then Laiu (Moeakiola) is fixing to hit him."

"A lot of times, he was just running for his life, and he ends up making a great play. At some point, we've just got to make sure we execute and keep him in the pocket."

Practice Notes: 

– Stretch songs: "I Got You (I Feel Good)" by James Brown, "Get Down On It" by Kool & The Gang

– Redshirt junior linebacker Salamo Fiso, sophomore safety Armand Perry and redshirt sophomore tight end Grant Martinez remained in green non-contact jerseys Wednesday. Redshirt freshman linebacker Ismael Murphy-Richardson took Fiso's spot with the first team as they showed a nickel look in team tempo.

– Junior college transfer Deonte Reynolds remained absent from practice on Wednesday. He was involved in a fight in Tempe over Halloween weekend and sustained minor injuries. Head coach Todd Graham said Monday that Reynolds was a "victim" in the situation and was still recovering.

Todd Graham, ASU football stealing signs is unacceptable

ASU football's Todd Graham addresses cheating allegations

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×