Welcome to consumer culture America. Right after we stuff our faces with stuffing and such, we will wake up at an ungodly hour to go consume more; this time filling our houses to the brim, as we did our bellies the day before.

Black Friday is an excellent setting to reflect on the true meaning of Thanksgiving and its origin. 

It demonstrates the journey of colonial America from raping and pillaging native communities, as well as nearly exterminating native tradition of human connection to Earth from mainstream knowledge, to modern America actually turning her effective biomass into endless mounds of toys and gadgets that will inevitably end up in a landfill, only to turn into toxic waste and fossilized plastics.

For those of you looking to avoid the possibility of being stampeded by a crowd or skipping time with family to take advantage of Chandler Fashion Center's Early Black Friday, which starts at 6 p.m. Thanksgiving day, here are a few good alternatives:

The No. 1 alternative is to shop at City Scape Phoenix’s Alternative Black Friday Vintage Market. Here, you can still indulge in the shopping fever, while finding unique items and supporting local artists. 

This market will feature 20 local vendors selling everything handmade from jewelry and beauty products to coffee and crafts. Starting at 10 a.m., this market intends to offer shoppers the chance to sleep in, rather than compete for a spot in a far-reaching line at 3 a.m.

But be wary, 4,500 shoppers have already clicked the status of "going" on Facebook. There is still a potential of crowds. 

via GIPHY

Alternative no. 2 comes from our state’s national parks, which are offering free access to all parks on the day of Black Friday. Given that state park prices can cost up to $30, this is a considerably great deal. 

Not to mention, the parks are less likely to be populated by those people you just don’t get along with, as they will be fighting over the last big screen TV in a “friendly-neighborhood” Walmart.

The third alternative is to engage in community service work. It won’t work to Google opportunities (trust me, I have tried), since this is not really a widespread practice on Black Friday. 

via GIPHY

However, there will be people in need of service and you will indeed be able to offer them help. What better way to give thanks than to give back to the community?

Lastly, there is "Cyber Monday." It doesn't really cut down on consumerism, nor the emissions costs involved in transporting goods, but it does take this culture and put it behind closed doors. This is beneficial for the fragile facade of consumer America.

If you are like me and my friends, you will take the opportunity of cars bustling from one store to the next to dance on street corners in costumes whilst waving signs with enriching messages. Charity comes in all shapes and forms.  

Black Friday goes too far

Black Friday Bingo is here and you're going to love it

Reach the columnist at ralydfor@asu.edu or follow @ralydford on Twitter.

×