The age old question: "Where do you want to eat?" Next time you stress out when someone asks you this, take a deep breath and consult this guide of The State Press Editorial Board's favorite "lesser-known" restaurants around the Tempe and Downtown Phoenix campuses. 

If there's one thing we've learned this semester about each other at The State Press, it's that we love to eat. When you're looking for someplace new, check these out:

Los Favoritos

1340 E. Broadway Road, Tempe, AZ

Mexican food is my favorite, and it’s what I always gravitate toward when I am going out to eat. My favorite Tempe spot is Los Favoritos, which is on Broadway Road and Dorsey Lane. Their breakfast burritos can cure any ailment I’ve ever encountered (heartache, too much homework, exhaustion). — Shelby Slade, editor-in-chief

Cibo

603 N. 5th Ave., Phoenix, AZ

From dessert crepes to pizza bianche, Cibo is my go-to downtown Phoenix dinner place. I am always a fan of the twinkly lights, live music and homemade pasta (ready at 5 p.m. everyday). Next time you get a hankering for carbs, don’t fret! Cibo is always there with the best prosciutto arugula pizza in the Valley. — Sydney Maki, copy chief

Taco Shack

815 W. University Drive, Tempe, AZ

No one feels good after going to Taco Bell, but it tends to be the go-to place around campus. However, once Taco Shack opened up I knew I needed to see if the food could feed my love of tacos and Mexican food in general. Taco Tuesdays are every day at this restaurant. However, its carne asada quesadillas are the absolute best and always great on-the-go. — Ryan Santistevan, arts and entertainment editor

Phoenicia Cafe

616 S. Forest Ave., Tempe, AZ

First thing’s first: I love Middle Eastern food. If there’s one thing I can eat over and over again, it’s falafel with hummus. The Phoenicia Cafe, conveniently located less than a mile from Tempe campus, offers a delicious (and affordable) array of traditional shawarma. Craving something sweet? Order a piece of baklava to go. — Aimee Plante, news editor

Panchero’s Mexican Grill

555 N. Scottsdale Road, Tempe, AZ

Sometimes I want Mexican food, but I get tired of the usual places. Panchero’s is great for those days — it’s like Chipotle but has a greater emphasis on a Tex-Mex style. Head up to the 202 and Rural Road and try the chips and queso. — Matt Layman, assistant sports editor

Qdoba Mexican Eats

301 Orange Mall, Tempe, AZ

Admittedly, Qdoba isn’t secret at all — it’s on the first floor of one of the busiest buildings on campus. But it does get overlooked in the make-your-own burrito niche because of Chipotle. If eating E. Coli-free carnitas doesn’t win you over (it should), ask for the queso diablo on your next burrito. Added bonus: Qdoba workers don’t give you side-eye when you ask them to mix up your burrito’s contents before wrapping it. — Ben Margiott, executive editor

Connections Café

3500 S. Rural Road, Tempe, AZ

Few things make me happier in life than books and caffeine, but a well-made Italian soda with cream has the ability to make my heart happy. Fortunately, Connections Cafe provides me with all three. Tucked inside the Tempe Public Library, it’s the perfect place to have reading dates with my friends. While I’m there, I can check out a book from the library or browse Friends bookstore for some new reads before I settle down to a slice of chocolate cake. — Danica Barnett, social media editor

Lux Central

4402 N. Central Ave., Phoenix, AZ

If you’re reading this, you’ve probably heard of Lux Central. It’s the kind of uber-popular coffee shop that flannel-sporting, niche-loving coffee goers fall in love with. Yeah, their coffee’s great. I’m a big coffee person myself (I believe the word “addiction” has been thrown around a couple times). But you know what’s even better than Lux coffee? Lux mac and cheese. It’s creamy and topped with a layer of cheese, you can add bacon and jalapeño to it and, to top it all off, they serve it in coffee mug. Need I say more? — Megan Janetsky, assistant news editor

Cafe Lalibela Ethiopian Cuisine

849 W. University Drive, Tempe, AZ 85281

If you’re seeking an experience the next time you go out to eat, look no further than Cafe Lalibela. The quaint Ethiopian restaurant provides a unique opportunity to not only indulge in flavors you didn’t know existed, but to scoop up stacks of wat (Ethiopian curry) with their sourdough injera bread — that’s right, no utensils. For those of you who can’t live without naan and curry from your favorite Indian spot, I would highly recommend stopping in for a plate. — Ben King, opinion editor

The Dhaba

1872 Apache Blvd., Tempe, AZ

I love Indian food. The Dhaba was recommended by a friend, and I will never look back. It’s a little more expensive than my second favorite Indian restaurant: Kohinoor, which is a buffet, and with a reward card it’s $8 for a meal. The menu is extensive both in meat and non-meat options, and The Dhaba has multiple types of lassi — mango, rose, salt and a few others. I am officially in love. — Claire Cleveland, managing editor

The Sheraton

340 N. Third St., Phoenix, AZ, 85004

ASU students know the Sheraton hotel as the landmark of the downtown campus. What they might not know is that it also houses a fantastic, and more importantly, cheap, restaurant. If you plan accordingly, and go during happy hour, you can get a meal for under $5. It is most well known for its mac and cheese and Shirley Temples. — Becca Petersen, assistant photo editor

Phoenix Public Market

14 E. Pierce St., Phoenix, AZ 85004

I drink a lot of Starbucks, so going over to Phoenix Public Market for a snack and some non-Starbucks with a student discount, is always a good pick-me-up after an early morning downtown class. It’s nice to have a change of scenery away from the hustle and bustle of campus and college students, and they have outdoor seating for those rare Arizona days when you actually want to go outside. — Jojo Huckeba, photo editor

Cornish Pasty Co.

960 W. University Drive #103, Tempe, AZ 85281

Picture a Hot Pocket, only high-class and cooked in a better fashion than a microwave. That’s Cornish Pasty. The best dish is called The Pilgrim, which is the Hot Pocket-esque pastry infused with Thanksgiving delicacies and a cranberry dipping sauce. It’s a quaint, hipster-looking restaurant that’s a little pricey but not too much (and I’m not a hipster and don’t like spending money, so you know the food is good if I recommend it) that I definitely recommend. — Logan Newman, sports editor

Short Leash Hot Dogs

110 E. Roosevelt St., Phoenix, AZ 85004

Oddly enough, I am not a fan of hot dogs in the slightest. I tend to view them as a phallic image of reject meat in general, although Short Leash actually offers a very high-quality product. But what I really come for is the Scottish eggs and soft pretzels. Crispy fried breakfast bites and warm, salty dough, need I say more? — Bella Castillo, assistant arts editor

Want to join the conversation? Send an email to opiniondesk.statepress@gmail.com. 

Keep letters under 300 words and be sure to include your university affiliation. Anonymity will not be granted.

×