Former ASU football head coach Frank Kush to be inducted into Pac-12 Hall of Honor

Kush's 176 wins remain the most in ASU football history

Football Camp Tontozona Frank Kush

Then ASU Senior center Nick Kelly (50) and redshirt senior guard Vi Teofilo (73) carry former head coach Frank Kush (center) off the field during the last day of Camp Tontozona on Saturday, Aug. 15, 2015, in Payson, Arizona.

The Pac-12 announced Wednesday afternoon that former ASU football head coach Frank Kush will be posthumously inducted into the Pac-12 Hall of Honor.

The induction will take place on Friday, Mar. 15 prior to a semifinals game of the Pac-12 Men's Basketball Tournament. 

Dan Kush, Frank's son who also played as a placekicker under him in 1976, will accept the award on behalf of his father.

Across over 21.5 seasons of coaching, Kush won 176 games, the most in school history. He also holds the most postseason victories for a coach at ASU, winning four Fiesta Bowls, a Peach Bowl and a Garden State Bowl.

Kush led the team to two undefeated seasons in his tenure, going 11-0 in 1970 and 12-0 in 1975. He also took the team to its highest AP ranking in program history in 1975, finishing the year as No. 2 in the nation.

Kush only had one losing season in his tenure in 1976, failing to live up to the expectations of being named the AP No. 3 team in the preseason.

Kush coached Pro Football Hall of Famers Charley Taylor, Curley Culp and Mike Haynes during his tenure. He also coached legendary baseball player Reggie Jackson for one year before Jackson permanently switched to baseball.

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×