Utah AD issues statement after fan harasses ASU's Fields on Twitter

The messages were sent in relation to Fields' targeting penalty against Utah

__20191019 Football at Utah 0531.jpg

ASU junior defensive back Evan Fields (4) runs back to the sideline during a game against Utah on Saturday, Oct. 19, 2019, at Rice-Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake City. 

Utah Athletics Director Mark Harlan released a statement Thursday condemning the behavior of a fan who harassed ASU football junior defensive back Evan Fields on Twitter.

This comes shortly after Evonnda Fields, Fields' mother, tweeted four screenshots, including one of a direct message between Evan and a secondary account of Adam J. Proctor, a dentist based in Heber, Utah. 

Evonnda's Post - Warning: The contents of this post contain vulgar language

The expletive-laced message toward Fields criticized him for a targeting penalty he drew against Utah senior running back Zack Moss in Saturday's game.

The penalty led to Fields being ejected from the game.

Evonnda's post garnered attention from both ASU and Utah fans, with many expressing displeasure over the Utah fan's comments. 

Harlan released the statement on Twitter, saying he, "strongly condemn(s) the behavior of the individual who directed such hatred toward an Arizona State student-athlete."

Harlan apologized to Evan, his family, ASU athletic director Ray Anderson and ASU football coach Herm Edwards for the man's conduct.

"We encourage all who support the Utes to be respectful and civil in demonstrating their support," Harlan said. "Utah Athletics will not tolerate behavior that expresses such hatred."

A few hours after Evonnda posted, the fan posted an apology for his message, expressing regret and caution for others who may be compelled to send messages like his.

"I am ashamed for my behavior and do not feel that it was appropriate in any way," Dr. A.J. Proctor, who initially messaged Evan, said in a tweet tagging both Evan and Evonnda. "I will never be able to undo that message, but I hope others will see this incredible mistake and know that social media should never be a tool for sending negative messages."

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×