Reili Richardson has developed a scorer's mentality for ASU women's basketball

The senior guard has become a primary offensive option for the Sun Devils

20200131 women's basketball vs USC 0004

ASU senior guard Reili Richardson (1) looks to pass the ball during the Sun Devils' 76-75 triple-overtime win against the USC Trojans at Desert Financial Arena on Friday, Jan. 31, 2020.

Every two weeks, Reili Richardson would buy his sneakers. 

The late Kobe Bryant, who died in a helicopter crash with eight others including his daughter Gianna in Calabasas, California almost two weeks ago, meant that much to Richardson.

For her, Bryant symbolized why she played the game. His work ethic, his drive, his determination; the Laker legend was an otherworldly figure in her eyes.

“I really felt like he was a family member,” Richardson said. “My heart dropped that much.”

And, although it may have been brief, she even met him once.

“I don’t remember how old I was, but I was like ‘oh my gosh, it’s Kobe Bryant,’” Richardson said. “I saw him at the grocery store too, so I always went to the same grocery store to see if he was going to be there.”

Now a senior guard at ASU, Richardson still plays the sport that was near and dear to Bryant’s heart. She may not be the "Black Mamba," but, like her hero, she’s shown a killer scoring instinct for the Sun Devils this season.

In the first three seasons of her collegiate career, Richardson wasn’t a top scorer for her team. After averaging 8.1 points per game as a freshman, Richardson’s field goal attempts per game whittled down to 4.8 shots per contest by her junior year.

As a senior, the California native has a new perspective on her offensive role with the team.

“I’ve always shot the same, but my confidence is just better this year,” Richardson said. “Before this season, I knew that I’d be a senior and that I needed to look to score. I’ve been a passer the last three years. In the offseason, I worked a lot on my shot and being more consistent.”

For Richardson, it was a change in mentality, not a mechanical adjustment, that contributed to her rise as a prominent scorer. With the Sun Devils' top two scorers from a year ago, forwards  Kianna Ibis and Courtney Ekmark, now gone, ASU needed a handful of their veteran players to step up in the scoring department.

Richardson hasn’t been the only Sun Devil who has taken more offensive responsibility. Senior forward Ja’Tavia Tapley and senior guard Robbi Ryan are both averaging double-figures in conference play while shooting better than 43% from the floor.

Unlike her veteran teammates, the senior point guard's rise has been much more gradual. Richardson’s three-point percentage has improved in every year of her career. 

“I feel like (her scoring) has been coming along,” ASU head coach Charli Turner Thorne said, “It’s typical of a senior, going into February, of being even more aggressive than they’ve been all year long.”

After finishing non-conference play averaging just under eight points per game, Richardson is averaging just under nine points per contest in Pac-12 play. Additionally, she has scored 36 points in her last two games.

“I’m confident right now in my shot,” Richardson said. “I just have been looking for opportunities to score and also get the ball to my teammates.”

In the triple-overtime win against USC last Friday, Richardson, with a second remaining in the third overtime, drilled the go-ahead three to give ASU a one-point lead.

“She’s been such a clutch player for us down the stretch,” ASU sophomore guard Taya Hanson said. “I’m thrilled for her and what she’s been able to do for our team this year. She’s definitely taken on that scorers’ role and that aggressive scorers’ mentality.”

It was Richardson at her best. Doing what her team needed her to do to get the win. 

Just like Kobe would.  

"He made his teammates better," Richardson said.

Clarification: A previous version of the story used incorrect AP Style to refer to Kobe Bryant's death. It has been updated to reflect the correct style.

Reach the reporter at kbriley@asu.edu and on Twitter @KokiRiley.

×