A rundown of the USG Downtown 2020 candidates

The ticket is running unopposed with a platform of health and wellness, engagement and inclusivity

USGD

Illustration published on Monday, March 20, 2017.

There is only one ticket running for executive office for Undergraduate Student Government Downtown and six schools with representatives in the senate.

The executive ticket

The ticket has Nora Thompson for president, Monica Medina for vice president of services and Renuka Vemuri for vice president of policy.

The ticket advocates for health and wellness, inclusivity and engagement in a number of ways, according to their campaign website.

When it comes to health and wellness, the three want to expand dining options and offer a "feminist pharmacy."

The feminist pharmacy would include condoms, lubrication, dental dams and Plan B free for all students located in the USGD office. 

"We got the idea from talking to members of USG on other campuses as well as student government at UA," Vemuri said, hoping to implement the same kind of services because tampons are already offered free of charge to Downtown students. 

Vemuri, current USGD senate president and sophomore studying medical studies, said she worked with the rest of the senate and Bowl of Greens Fine Salads to make sure students could use Maroon & Gold Dollars at the restaurant when she was a senator.  

She explained that finding food on campus for students with special diets was difficult, and with the meal plans students have, sometimes the only option is the dining hall, which might not suit the students' needs. 

The inclusivity platform is focused on housing, making sure that students who attend classes on the Downtown campus are also able to live in the area, participate in events and get to class easily.

"We are hoping that we can be a presence at city council meetings to ensure students have affordable housing," said Thompson, the ticket's presidential candidate and a junior studying public service and public policy.

Thompson pointed out the sole residence hall on the Downtown campus and said that the rent prices at nearby apartment buildings were too high for students, making it more difficult for them to interact with events on-campus. A new dorm is currently being built on the campus. 

As with past executive tickets, this year's candidates want to prioritize student engagement after taking their new positions. While polling locations might not be the number one need, there are other things they plan on contributing to campus. 

"We're going to be putting a lot of effort and thought into civic discourse and giving students the opportunity to practice their First Amendment rights in a way that won't harm others," Thompson said. 

The candidates are already preparing for Election Day in November and said if the push for only mail-in ballots becomes a reality, they want to cater an event to students.

"We want to do an event where we can all meet up, bring our ballots and walk to the polling station together," said Medina, vice president of services candidate, College of Health Solutions senator and a junior studying health science, who was hopeful that it would encourage students to vote and increase safety for those who do.

While the ticket is running unopposed, Thompson says they are taking their campaign seriously by updating social media pages, emails and their website as much as possible. 

"We really want the students on Downtown to come and talk to us, we want them to give us their ideas, tell us the kind of support they need," Thompson said. "We have the opportunity to cater to students who need help rather than cater to an audience trying to beat our opponent." 

Senators

There are two seats for Barrett, The Honors College. The candidates running are Lance Lim and Spencer McClure.

There are two seats for the College of Health Solutions. The candidates running are Corey Ball and Karenna Sandoval. 

There are also two seats for the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication. The candidates running are Fernanda Ruiz and Kirsten Dorman. 

There are two seats for the Watts College of Public Service and Community Solutions. The candidates running are Aden Parsons, Christopher Weddigen and Kaela Busse.

The College of Integrative Sciences and Arts and the Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation both have two seats with no candidates running. 

Campaigning began on March 30 and will end on April 14 when voting begins. Students will vote digitally on April 14 and 15 and results will be announced on April 16. 

Reach the reporter at pjhanse1@asu.edu and follow @piperjhansen on Twitter. 

Piper HansenDigital Editor-in-Chief

Piper Hansen is the digital editor-in-chief at The State Press, overseeing all digital content. Joining SP in Spring 2020, she has covered student government, housing and COVID-19. She has previously written about state politics for The Arizona Republic and the Arizona Capitol Times and covers social justice for Cronkite News.

×