ASU ranks 6th in research among US universities without a medical school

The University increased research expenditures by almost $22 million in 2019

beaker-magnifyglass-lightbulb.jpg

"University officials credit the success to their transdisciplinary approach to major problems, claiming a different path of solutions than traditional research." Illustration published on Tuesday, Feb. 9, 2021.

ASU has ranked 6th in the nation for research expenditures among universities without a medical school in the 2019 fiscal year. 

The National Science Foundation recently released its annual Higher Education Research and Development rankings for research expenditures among universities nationwide. 

In the 2019 fiscal year, ASU's expenditures totaled $639.6 million, almost $22 million more than the previous year. 

A University press release said much of the funding has come from investments by federal agencies including NASA and the NSF as well as local grants and philanthropic contributions among others. 

ASU’s Knowledge Enterprise Executive Vice President Sally Morton said in the press release that ASU researchers are capable of solving major problems through their transdisciplinary approach. Morton began her new role Feb. 1 and is one of the successors of former lead Sethuraman Panchanathan, who is now the director of the NSF. 

"I am confident we have the capabilities to discover impactful solutions to pandemics, climate change, cybersecurity and emerging health issues — all of which will challenge humankind well into the future," Morton said in the release. 

ASU's Biodesign Institute has also been at the forefront of COVID-19 research and testing in Arizona. The University has established over 100 testing sites across the state and developed a saliva-based test for faster results and more efficient testing. 

COVID-19 research at the institute is led by Biodesign Director Joshua LaBaer. LaBaer said in the release that fast and easy testing is crucial for returning to in-person activities.  

“As we return to the workplace, schools and other daily activities, testing early and often is going to be the best way to help us prevent the spread of COVID-19,” LaBaer said in the press release.

Another of the University's recent focal points is the Mastcam-Z. The camera system will provide visuals for Perseverance, the newest Mars rover, upon its landing this month. 

The development of Mastcam-Z was led by researchers of the School of Earth and Space Exploration. The rover launched in July 2020 and will touch down on Mars later this month with Mastcam-Z at its head.

READ MORE: Mars 2020 Perseverance rover launches equipped with ASU-developed camera

The HERD rankings account for where and how much funding is spent at each university. In these rankings, ASU kept its No. 1 spot in expenditures for anthropology and rose to No. 1 in the fields of geographic and earth sciences as well as transdisciplinary sciences.

ASU also ranked fourth in social sciences and business management, 11th in psychology, 12th in electrical, electronic and communications engineering, and 14th in civil engineering. 

The University also placed third among universities with NASA funding, 10th in health and human services funding, and 23rd for NSF funding.

Reach the reporter at gmlieber@asu.edu and follow @G_Mira_ on Twitter.

×