2022 USG election results announced

The election saw 40 students run for 65 open Senate seats, and the four executive tickets ran unopposed for the first time in at least nine years

USG_General_Stock.png

USG election results were announced on Thursday, March 31, 2022.

The Undergraduate Student Governments at all four main ASU campuses announced their 2022 election results Thursday. All executive tickets ran unopposed for the first time in at least nine years, while a total of 40 students ran for 35 out of 65 open Senate seats.

READ MORE: ASU 2022 student government election guide

Several changes were added to USG's 2021-2022 elections code in November to ensure elections would go more smoothly, including providing a clearer definition of how to perform ranked choice voting. The clarification was added after last year's elections commission incorrectly defined ranked choice voting and declared the wrong executive ticket as the election winner.

READ MORE: To prevent past mistakes, student government is preparing for elections 

USG Tempe

The executive ticket with Andrew Kalthoff, Brooke Meier and Morgann Kelly won the uncontested election with 965 votes, which was announced at Old Main on Thursday. Kalthoff was elected for president, Meier was elected as vice president of service and Kelly was elected as the vice president of policy.

"It's a beautiful day on Tempe's campus and we can't wait to get started," said Kalthoff, a junior studying electrical engineering.

Rachel Porché, Jake Standridge, Hannah Berryman, Kyler Quaempts and Ainor Elgamal, won the five seats for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

Joseph Grantham, Drake Tasev, John Monpas-Huber, Thomas Brugger and Kyle Farrell won the five seats for W.P. Carey School of Business

Trevor Alford, Sheil Patel, Parker Johnson and William Hanson were the only candidates running for the four seats for the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering and will take those seats next year.

Rafael Ortiz III and Sophia Chez won the two seats for Barrett, the Honors College.

Grace Reiter won the single seat representing the College of Global Futures uncontested.

The single seats for the College of Health Solutions, College of Integrative Sciences and Arts and Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College remain open. The two seats for the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts also remain unfilled.

Tempe assistant elections commissioner Michael DeVine announces the results of the USG elections at Old Main on Thursday, March 31, 2022. 

USG Downtown Phoenix

The executive ticket for the Downtown Phoenix campus, Evan Lis as president, Dane Van Wagenen as vice president of service and Halah Berglin as vice president of policy ran uncontested and collected 171 votes.

"My VPS, my VPP elect and I couldn't be more excited to jump into these new roles and start building a team that will hopefully be in place, going by next year," said Lis, a senior studying journalism and mass communication and geography with a focus in meteorology and climatology. "We can start working on all the really great initiatives and ideas out there that will hopefully benefit a lot of Sun Devils in general."

Ashley Hung and Carly Vigeant won the two seats for the Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation uncontested.

Charlotte Canada and Anna Montoya won the two seats representing the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication uncontested.

Seanika Mathis won one of the two seats open for the Watts College of Public Service and Community Solutions. The other seat remains open.

The two seats for Barrett, The Honors College, College of Health Solutions, College of Integrative Sciences and the Arts and Herberger Institute of Design and the Arts remain vacant.

USG Polytechnic

The executive ticket with Cecilia Alcantar-Chavez as president, Ricardo Gomez as vice president of service and Nicholas Arango as vice president of policy ran uncontested and collected 169 votes.

"We are very excited to continue working on various projects and initiatives for students. From club funding, campus improvement projects, to University-wide initiatives, student leadership works to make a difference in the student experience,” said Alcantar-Chavez, a junior studying mechanical engineering systems, in an email.

Lailah Smith won one of the two seats open for the College of Integrative Sciences and Arts, and the other seat remains vacant.

Julius Woart won one of the two seats open for the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering, and the other seat remains vacant.

The two seats for Barrett, The Honors College, Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College, W. P. Carey School of Business, College of Health Solutions and College of Global Futures remain vacant. The three at-large seats also remain vacant.

USG West

The executive ticket with Ally Hughes running as president, Alexis Blasko as vice president of service and Abigail Salman as vice president of policy ran uncontested and collected 302 votes.

"They're all incredibly excited, quite giddy over our win and ready to make a big impact," said Blasko, a sophomore studying medical studies. "We're just really thankful for everyone who voted and was able to participate in the elections."

Celina Torres and Michelle Gradillas won two of the four seats open for the New College. The other two seats remain vacant.

Vanessa Maciel ran uncontested and won one of the two seats available for the W.P. Carey School of Business. The other seat remains vacant.

Jessica-Lynn Pagliuca ran uncontested and won the single seat for Barrett, The Honors College.

Addison Sutton ran uncontested and won the single seat for the Thunderbird School of Global Management.

The single seats for Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation, Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College, College of Health Solutions and Watts College of Public Service and Community Solutions remain vacant. 

Reach the reporter at awaiss@asu.edu and @WaissAlexis on Twitter.

Alexis WaissAssignment Editor, Senior Reporter

Alexis Waiss is an assignment editor and senior reporter, covering breaking news and writing long-form stories. Alexis worked on SP's politics desk for a year, where she reported on the Legislature, higher education policy, student government, the city of Tempe and stories highlighting social justice. She previously worked as a fellow for the Asian American Journalist Association's VOICES program. 

×