Ray Anderson to remain under same pay as ASU professor following resignation

Ray Anderson will receive the same salary in a teaching position at the University as he did as the vice president of University athletics and athletic director

Ray Anderson Contract.jpg

Former ASU Vice President for University Athletics Ray Anderson during a press conference at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe on Sunday, Nov. 27, 2022.

Former Athletic Director Ray Anderson’s contract will be modified, but his pay will remain the same at $950,000 every year until 2026, according to an ASU spokesperson. 

Anderson stepped down as athletic director for ASU athletics on Nov. 13 but will remain a professor of practice and senior adviser at the Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law. Per the spokesperson, there will be no buyout to his athletic contract, and his pay will remain the same, unadjusted for the change in assignment.  

READ MORE: Ray Anderson steps down as ASU Athletic Director

According to his contract, Anderson’s base salary was $950,000 yearly for continuing to develop the athletic department. Any raises or boosts to his salary remain unclear as part of his unchanged pay.    

Besides outlining his duty to develop the department, Anderson’s contract included bonuses he would receive for academic success, graduation rates, and certain GPAs. According to an ASU spokesperson, Anderson is eligible for sports performance bonuses for Fall 2023 and for sports that extend from Fall into Spring, including men's and women's basketball, men's and women's swim and dive, wrestling, and gymnastics.

His contract states that the University is obligated to pay Anderson his salary and provide bonuses earned through the date of his contract termination. Still, it does not outline how the University should proceed if his position or contract changes.  

READ MORE: We updated the ASU salary database for 2022. What do you want to know?

The University has not responded to questions about those clauses at time of publishing.

According to the contract, Anderson was required to notify the University of his resignation within 30 days. ASU appointed interim AD James Rund on Monday. 

Rund currently serves as the Senior Vice President for Educational Outreach and Student Services, working on outreach on all four campuses. He also works as an associate professor at the Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College at ASU. 

Anderson has taught one course, Negotiations & Alternative Dispute Resolutions in the Sports Industry, which provides basic knowledge of contract law and in-depth instruction regarding negotiating and drafting, in the spring semester for the past three school years. Any changes to his contract, teaching duties and schedule remain to be seen.

Edited by Alfred Smith III, Walker Smith and Angelina Steel.

Editor's Note: This story was updated at 3:05 p.m. on Nov. 16, 2023 to add more information about Anderson's contract. This story is still developing and may be updated.

Reach the reporter at katrinamic03@gmail.com and follow @kat_m67 on X.

×