Theta Tau offers a brotherhood for engineering students while developing professionalism

The organization focuses on career development and professionalism while building an expansive network of fellow engineers

Lydia_Quandt_1-25_Engineering Coed Fraternity-5.png

ASU Theta Tau students chatting during their game night in Tempe on Thursday, Jan. 18, 2024.

Theta Tau is a national co-ed fraternity that focuses on creating professional bonds with members and the community within the engineering organization. Spring rush events at ASU were held from Jan. 18-26.

The organization immerses itself in a Greek lifestyle while developing professionalism within its industry, striving to promote a sense of companionship and unity. 

"Our goal as a chapter is to promote brotherhood amongst our members while also making a mark in our community," said Devbrat Hariyani, Theta Tau Regent. "We also hope to set up our members for success in every aspect of their life, especially in their professional lives."

The organization was established in 1904; ASU established its chapter 91 years later. Currently, there are 43 active student members of Theta Tau and ASU and more than 400 alumni.  

"I joined my freshman year; I knew nothing about engineering or what I wanted to do," said Kavya Chandrasekar, a sophomore studying computer systems engineering. "Once I joined, I met all these really cool engineers that were a lot older than me and had experience."

Chandrasekar ended up switching her major from computer science to computer systems engineering after learning about engineering from Theta Tau members. 

The organization's rush events are centered around pillars of service: professionalism, service and brotherhood. 

Once pledges have accepted their bids, they must complete the New Member Education program. The course requires members to attend events, meetings and other Theta Tau-related activities to teach them the organization's values. 

Once the New Member Education program is completed, the student is then initiated into Theta Tau. Officers of the organization claim that the program is equivalent to the workload of a two-credit hour class. 

"We look for like-minded individuals in the Fulton Schools of Engineering who are passionate about developing their professional skills, participating in community service and making ASU feel like a smaller, tight-knit community," Hariyani said.

Theta Tau focuses on creating a professional environment for future engineers while improving resumes, networks and relationships. 

The brotherhood hosts resume and LinkedIn workshops with alumni throughout the semesters. Members have also helped newer members get internships.

Growing up with sisters, Daniela Granados Horta, a junior studying industrial engineering, didn't fully plan on going into STEM. Being a part of Theta Tau allowed her to learn different dynamics and seek support from her "40 brothers."

"Being a part of Tau, you really learn that boys aren't that scary," Granados Horta said. "A lot of them are very willing to help."

After holding a different officer position last semester, Granados Horta became the rush coordinator. She claims that holding this position has helped improve organization and communication skills in a safe environment.

"They've allowed me to fail at certain things because we all love each other," said Granados Horta. "I feel like if you’re going to fail anywhere, this is the place because people are going to be there to give you advice and guide you."

Though career is the organization's primary focus, many have found lifelong friends. Connor Stevens, a graduate student studying biomedical engineering, joined the semester after COVID lockdown restrictions were lifted.

"I didn’t have many friends; the ones I did have were mostly at home," Stevens said. "So, I joined, and I ended up liking everybody." 

Pledge Charles Lewison, a sophomore studying architectural studies, was interested in joining because he wanted to get more involved in campus life. Lewison learned about Theta Tau from members tabling on the Tempe campus. 

"It's pretty easy to go to classes and go home," Lewison said.

The "laid-back" environment is meant to encourage more members to join, as well as for engineering majors to expand their networks. 

"At the end of the day, we're all engineers," Granados Horta said. "If you're here, we're happy to meet you."   

Edited by Katrina Michalak, Walker Smith and Grace Copperthite.

Reach the reporter at glmcfar1@asu.edu and follow @ginia_mcfarland on X.

×