Beyoncé not 'crazy in love' with social media

ENTER MUS-GRAMMYS 204 LA
Beyonce ft. Jay Z wins Best R&B Performance at the 57th Annual Grammy Awards at Staples Center in Los Angeles on Sunday, Feb. 8, 2015. (Robert Gauthier/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

“Who is Beyoncé?” It's a question that has simply never been asked. The last time Beyoncé tweeted was in 2013 and the majority of her Instagram posts have no caption, yet she is still the obsession of many. So, how does Queen Bey keep all her loyal subjects? By doing nothing at all.

She has been a public obsession since she first hit the scene in Destiny’s Child in 1990. For 18 years now, Beyoncé has been able to stay an A-list celebrity. Since the birth of daughter Blue Ivy in January 2012, we haven’t heard or seen very much of Beyoncé. Yes, we see pictures of Beyoncé out and about, but when was the last time she gave an interview?

With the abundance of social media outlets, many celebrities connect with their fans. Many celebrities tweet their fans about a new line they’re promoting or even things about their everyday life. With Beyoncé, there is no direct line of connection to her fans. Yes, she has TwitterInstagram and Beyonce.com, but she doesn’t use them to engage with people and grow her public persona. Her social media presence is a stark contrast than that of mega star Taylor Swift who is constantly in contact with her fans. Swift even invites fans into her home to listen to her new albums. As opposed to Swift, Beyoncé has an obvious separation from her fans.

Beyoncé is so mysterious that she captivates us even more.  

Recently, she graced the cover of Vogue’s much-coveted September issue. Even though she was on the cover, she had no quotes in the magazine. That’s right, no interview, no gushing about Blue Ivy, nothing. The only thing that accompanied the pictures was a small piece about Beyoncé, in which the author had no contact with team Beyoncé at all. 

“It was definitely posed to me as… call it a think piece if you want,” Margo Jefferson, the Vogue writer, said. “I had no contact with her camp.” Appearing on the cover of Vogue with no interview is unheard of. Being featured by Vogue is the “holy grail” for any celebrity, nobody says no to Vogue. Unless, of course, that someone is Beyoncé.

Either Beyoncé has a killer public relations team that has us all under mind control, or she has transcended any previous amount of stardom that she didn’t have to do anything to stay on top. Beyoncé is one of the biggest stars of our generation and has been able to stay a household name without over publicizing herself. 

99 problems and a baby

Beyoncé singlehandedly saves the VMAs

Reach the columnist at larober3@asu.edu or follow @lindsayaroberts on Twitter.

×