Report: ASU football running back Kalen Ballage diagnosed with mononucleosis

The sophomore running back missed the team's season opener and could miss extended time

Football media day 015 Kalen Ballage
Sophomore running back Kalen Ballage (right) gives an interview during football media day on Saturday, Aug. 8, 2015, at the Carson Student-Athlete Center.

ASU football's running back depth is about to be put to the test.

According to a report from SunDevilSource's Chris Karpman, sophomore running back Kalen Ballage has been diagnosed with mononucleosis, commonly referred to as "mono."

Ballage missed ASU's season opener against Texas A&M on Saturday due to an undisclosed illness, Sun Devil Athletics said. He had originally travelled with the team to Houston until being diagnosed with the illness, then returned to Tempe. 

In his absence, ASU lost 38-17.

If Ballage indeed has mononucleosis, he could miss extended time. The illness can lead to an enlarged spleen that would complicate his timetable for return, Karpman said.

Standing 6-foot-3 and 230 pounds, Ballage was expected to be the primary ballcarrier alongside Demario Richard as well as contribute to special teams and serve as a situational third-down pass rusher on the defensive end.

Ballage compiled 202 all-purpose yards and four total touchdowns last season as a true freshman. 

ASU senior wide receiver D.J. Foster or true freshman running back Jason Lewis could see some time in the backfield to replace Ballage, according to the report.

Update

ASU coach Todd Graham told reporters Monday that he doesn't expect Ballage to be out for the season, saying it will be "a week or two" before the sophomore returns.

Stay tuned to State Press Sports for future updates.

ASU vs. Texas A&M: By the numbers

ASU football falls to a pair of local products against Texas A&M

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×