ASU football's Fiso named captain

The Sun Devils' star linebacker is a leader and role model on the defense

Redshirt junior linebacker Salamo Fiso (58) tackles the ball carrier in the first quarter against Colorado on Saturday, Oct. 10, 2015, at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe.

Tuesday, the ASU football team named a new captain in redshirt junior linebacker Salamo Fiso.

Fiso is having a career season in 2015, leading the NCAA in solo tackles with 45 through the first half of the season.

Coach Todd Graham said the choice was easy for the coaches because Fiso has stood out on and off the field to them.

"I think Salamo is the leader (on defense)," Graham said. "Because of how he plays and the productivity that he has."

Graham continued saying that younger, less experienced players rely on Fiso when adjusting to ASU's schemes, making him the default captain of the linebackers and making him a valuable asset.

"I think our players really look to him," Graham said. "He's obviously the communicator, he makes all the defensive calls and does a great job."

Sophomore linebacker Christian Sam confirmed Graham's thoughts and said he and the other young players in the linebacking corps learn from Fiso every day since he knows the system as well, or better, than anyone else on the Sun Devils roster.

"Playing with him, he's so smart, you learn stuff," Sam said. "He's been here so long, you just learn stuff. You just try to learn from him because he knows so much."

Senior wide receiver, and fellow captain, DJ Foster said Fiso's leadership style in different from most players on the team, but it is 

"He does his own thing," Foster said. "Salamo is a very interesting person. I've never seen someone make the steps and the strides he has this year, it's unbelievable."

Additional Notes:

- Sophomore running back Demario Richard and redshirt junior linebacker Laiu Moeakiola were both limited in practice Tuesday due to injuries suffered during Saturday's win. Each player sported a rather large brace on their legs, with Richard's on his right leg and Moeakiola's on his left. Graham has said over the past few days that he expects both to play Saturday at Utah.

ASU vs. Colorado: By the numbers

ASU football linebacker Antonio Longino has career night versus Colorado – again

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×