From Kim Kardashian to Sparky, here are the week's top stories

Senior defensive back Kweishi Brown attempts to intercept a pass against UCLA on Saturday, Oct. 3, 2015, at Rose Bowl Stadium in Pasadena, Calif. The Sun Devils defeated the Bruins 38-23.

Hopefully you are enjoying your short break. You deserve it! Sit down, consume a pumpkin spiced beverage and catch up on the top stories of the week.

UA embarrasses Tucson with ridiculous petition to ban Sparky

Photo by Jacob Stanek | The State Press

An online petition was started, which asked the Arizona Board of Regents to ban "ASU from using Satan as a mascot." The petition, which is now closed, was started by Arizonan Josh Miller as a joke. Miller said it was "an effort to make the most asinine petition I could think of and see how much steam it could pick up."  Columnist Austen Bundy came to Sparky's defense.

Read more: Sparky's Quill: Sparky’s Evolution

Keeping up with the Bercovicis? Attention turns to ASU quarterback, Kim Kardashian after upset

Photo by Ben Moffat | The State Press

For the second year in a row, ASU football has defeated a Los Angeles school on the road in a stunning victory. After last Saturday's upset, a rumor started that quarterback Mike Bercovici received a congratulatory phone call from Kim Kardashian. Reporter Fabian Ardaya explored the rumor and set the record straight.

Read more: Three things to know from ASU football's win over No. 7 UCLA

Selena Gomez's message may not be 'good for you'

Photo by Ron T. Ennis | Fort Worth Star-Telegram/TNS

Selena Gomez is valuable and she confidently boasts it in her song "Good For You." Gomez continues to express her sense of female empowerment through her music. Columnist Rebecca Lydford performs a lyrical autopsy on two of Gomez's songs and offers her interpretation of their themes.

Read more: Pop Culture Mischief: Bruce Jenner, Selena Gomez's new fling and more

Young and kinky: ASU students explore sexual preferences through BDSM

Photo by Ben Moffat | The State Press

Some ASU students choose to explore their sexual preferences through bondage and dominance, sadism and Masochism (BDSM). Reporter Sydney Greene spoke with ASU students who experiment with BDSM, learning more about this often misunderstood set of practices.

Read more: Dan Savage speaks about fetishes, insecurity

Articles we think you'll love:

We need to talk about sex

Photo by Danica Barnett | The State Press

The members of the Editorial Board believe sex is a normal part of life. Sex is a natural thing and should not be treated as taboo. Here's what we think society needs to change in order to make this a topic more people can feel comfortable about openly discussing.

The tumultuous progression of Mike Bercovici and ASU football

Photo by Ben Moffat | The State Press

Mike Bercovici is leaving a legacy as a Sun Devil. Bercovici has made significant improvements as a player statistically and as a leader. Reporter Evan Webeck explains how this quarterback has managed to accomplish so much in such a short period of time.

Read more: Mike Bercovici leaving a lasting legacy on ASU football

5 things The Editorial Board learned from Michael Crow, from guns to football

Photo by Ben Moffat | The State Press

Every semester The State Press Editorial Board sits with ASU President Michael Crow for one hour to discuss issues that are important to us and all ASU students. Several important topics were discussed during the meeting. Here are five that stood out to us.

Read More: ASU President Michael Crow addresses graduation rates, Wi-Fi at luncheon

Let there be light: Tempe USG, Tempe officials plan to add lighting around campus

Photo by J. Bauer-Leffler | The State Press

The Tempe Undergraduate Student Government is making efforts to add more lighting around the campus, making the university safer. Reporter Sophia Mootoo spoke with USG members and learned more about what steps they are taking to further this idea.

Reach the reporter at anicla@asu.edu or follow @AndrewNiclaASU on Twitter

×