Results for some 2020 USG and GPSA elections announced

After campaigns were delayed and moved online, some results were made public Thursday

usgelections2019.jpg

Graphic published on Monday, March 11, 2019. 

After campaigning for positions in Undergraduate Student Government was pushed back and moved to a digital format due to the coronavirus, some election results were announced Thursday over a Zoom call at 6 p.m. 

Associated Students of ASU Elections Commissioner Carla Naranjo told viewers that over 6,900 students across all campuses participated in elections, a dramatic increase from years past.

USG Tempe

Over the Zoom call, Naranjo announced that the Fees and Palmer tickets would go head-to-head in a runoff election next week, after neither of them won 50 plus one percent of the vote. 

In addition, winning candidates for senatorial seats in Barrett, The Honors College, The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering would be announced at a later date.

Kelvin Luk took one of two senate seats for the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts

Kamden Maag won the sole seat for the Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College.

Kylie Vacala won the only seat for the School of Sustainability

Tanner Hauck, Alyssa Hollingsworth, Natalie Ibarra and Derek Baranski won the four seats for the W. P. Carey School of Business

Two senate seats for the College of Integrative Sciences and Arts as well as one seat for the College of Health Solutions and one for the School for the Future of Innovation in Society had no candidates running, and will remain vacant. 

USG Downtown

The executive ticket with Nora Thompson for president, Monica Medina for vice president of services and Renuka Vemuri for vice president of policy ran unopposed. 

The three have a platform of health and wellness, inclusivity and engagement. In order to deliver, they hope to offer a wider variety of resources, locations to use Maroon and Gold dollars and host events for civic discourse. 

Kaela Busse and Aden Parsons will fill the two seats for the Watts College of Public Service and Community Solutions.

Lance Lim and Spencer McClure will fill both senate seats for Barrett.

Corey Ball and Karenna Sandoval will fill both senate seats for the College of Health Solutions. 

Fernanda Ruiz and Kirsten Dorman were elected for both Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication senate seats. 

Two seats for the CISA and two seats for Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation remain vacant. 

USG Polytechnic

The executive ticket with Troy Anderson for president, Hannah Stirewalt for vice president of services and Brandon Dixon for vice president of policy ran unopposed.

The three have a platform of diversity and inclusion. They hope to update a calendar of events as well as meet biweekly with members of multicultural clubs to make sure their voices are heard on the Polytechnic campus. 

Andrew Munguia and Gianelly Esquer will fill both seats for W. P. Carey. 

Three at-large seats, two seats for Barrett, CISA and the Fulton Schools of Engineering and one for the Teachers College had no candidates running and will remain vacant. 

USG West

The executive ticket with Natalie Carranza for president, James Gary for vice president of services and Elizabeth Chilton for vice president of policy won. 

Using experience from leadership on the Programming and Activities Board, the team wants to increase student engagement on campus, host more events and change the dynamic of USG. 

Jessica-Lynn Pagliuca will fill the sole seat for Barrett. 

Ashley Peña Gonzalez will fill the sole seat for the College of Health Solutions. 

Bethany Rocha, Keely Nunez, Michelle Gradillas and Tajyanna Hall will take the four seats for the New College of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences.

Michaela Jacobs will fill the only seat for the Thunderbird School of Global Management.

Zoe Baab will fill the one seat for the Watts College. 

The single seats for Edson and the Teachers College, as well as the two seats for W. P. Carey had no candidates running and will be left vacant.

GPSA

John Oyas won for president of the Graduate and Professional Student Association, Nicole Mayberry is vice president of external affairs, Kylee Warke is vice president of internal affairs and Nivedita Mahesh is vice president of professional development. 

Only three of the five at-large positions were filled by Eric Wilson, Leah Jones and Saloni Desai. 

Brandon Favre will represent The College: Life Sciences and Jacob Garcia will represent The College: Natural Sciences. 

Aaron Cromar will fill one of two seats for Edson.

Carly Thalman and Hadi Ali took the two at-large seats for the Fulton Schools of Engineering. 

Niveditha Muthukrishnan took the sole seat for the Fulton Schools of Engineering: Biological and Health Solutions. 

Nitin Mishra took the sole seat for the Fulton Schools of Engineering: Electrical, Computer and Energy. 

Sanchit Singhal took the sole seat for the Fulton Schools of Engineering: Matter, Transport and Energy.

Sandesh Bhat took the sole seat for the Fulton Schools of Engineering: Polytechnic School. 

Zaellotius Wilson took one of three seats for the Herberger Institute. 

Maria Hodge and Michael Amato will take two of the three seats for the Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law School

Florian Schneider will take the sole seat for the School of Sustainability. 

Simone Bayfield won one of the three seats for W. P. Carey. 

Numerous seats for the Watts College, Cronkite School, Thunderbird School, New College, Teachers College, Schools for the Future of Innovation in Society, Fulton Schools of Engineering, The College, CISA and the College of Health Solutions will remain empty. 

Reach the reporter at pjhanse1@asu.edu and follow @piperjhansen on Twitter. 

Piper HansenDigital Editor-in-Chief

Piper Hansen is the digital editor-in-chief at The State Press, overseeing all digital content. Joining SP in Spring 2020, she has covered student government, housing and COVID-19. She has previously written about state politics for The Arizona Republic and the Arizona Capitol Times and covers social justice for Cronkite News.

×