Sun Devil Snapshot: Michael Phelps and Todd Graham made headlines over break

Todd Graham, Michael Phelps and Chip Lindsey made the winter break interesting.

ASU head coach Todd Graham reacts after a play during the Motel 6 Cactus Bowl on Saturday, Jan. 2, 2016, at Chase Field in Phoenix.

While gifts were being unwrapped and the ball was dropping, ASU athletics was having a big winter.

A football coach found common ground with Michael Phelps and junior forward Sophie Brunner courted ESPN’s approval. Here are the top stories from winter break:

ASU Football loses Cactus Bowl on coaching error

Sun Devil football vied for a winning season in the Cactus Bowl at Chase Field, but came up short due to a coaching miscue.

ASU scored a touchdown to go ahead in the waning minutes. It elected to kick a field goal and go ahead by six points. Had ASU successfully converted for two points, the West Virginia Mountaineers’ touchdown thereafter would’ve only tied the game, instead of them deciding the lead.

“We were supposed to go for the two-point play (but didn’t), and that’s my responsibility,” said ASU head coach Todd Graham after the 43-42 loss. “That’s my fault.”

Additionally, the Cactus Bowl marked the final collegiate game for ASU’s seniors, including quarterback Mike Bercovici and wide receiver D.J. Foster.

Michael Phelps hired as an assistant swim coach

Olympic gold medalist and superstar swimmer Michael Phelps was hired as an assistant coach for the Sun Devils swim and dive team, according to The Arizona Republic.

Phelps has 22 Olympic medals, the most by any athlete in Olympic history.

Two ASU football players arrested

Redshirt sophomore safety Jayme Otomewo and defensive junior defensive lineman Deonte Reynolds were arrested on suspicion of stealing credit cards from off-campus student housing on Dec. 13. They were subsequently released from the Sun Devil football program.

Pac-12 releases 2016 football schedule

Sun Devil football fans found out that ASU will open the 2016 season against Northern Arizona University, while the Territorial Cup will be saved for the final regular season contest on Nov. 25.

ASU will have a bye between their games against Oregon and Utah, who were both ranked at the end of the season.

Hockey loses 11th straight game in Desert Hockey Classic

ASU hockey has had a tough time in its first season as a D1 team, and the Desert Hockey Classic displayed that on a bigger stage than usual.

The Sun Devils played at the Gila River Arena, home of the Arizona Coyotes, in a four-team tournament that featured Yale, Michigan Tech and UConn. ASU lost both of its games over the weekend, letting its losing streak fall to 11 games.

Women’s basketball goes undefeated over break, sits 10th in AP Poll

ASU women’s basketball is now ranked 10th in the AP poll after going undefeated in its last 10 games. On Monday, junior forward Sophie Brunner was named espnW’s player of the week. Brunner leads the team in points per game at 11.4 and rebounds at 6.7, making herself a catalyst since coming back from injury on a 13-3 ASU team.

Also over the break, women’s basketball head coach Charli Turner Thorne eclipsed the 400-win milestone with a road win against the Hartford Hawks.

More Coaching Changes

The football team announced the hiring of new offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey on Dec. 11, who left the same position at University of Southern Mississippi. He replaces Mike Norvell, who left to take the head coaching position at the University of Memphis.

Also, the University of Arkansas hired ASU volleyball head coach Jason Watson, who had coached ASU for eight years.

Men’s basketball goes 4-4

The men’s basketball team had four wins and four losses over the break. The losses included a nail-biter at USC that slipped away and ended 75-65 and a 72-58 defeat in Kentucky.

5 ASU coaching changes in winter break carousel

Bobby Hurley's intensity good for ASU men's basketball

Reach the assistant sports editor at matthew.layman@asu.edu or follow @Mattjlayman on Twitter.

×